Learning the basics of linux

I’m new to linux and need a book or guild to learn the basics. Something to get me started, down loading programs, navigating. Thank you

I’m guessing you’re looking for something like this? https://linuxhandbook.com/linux-directory-structure/

My approach, for pretty much anything, is to search the internet a lot and read different articles. They’re also a lot more concise than books. And if one article seems to go in the wrong direction, just move to the next.

4 Likes

Thanks , I will look that up at my age I need all the help I can get. Thanks again for your help

i will

You can search for video’s on YouTube or Lbry.

You can find lots of free courses, do a Google search, or paid basic courses on thing like Udemy.

Just a note, don’t pay more than £9.99 or £12.99 for Udemy courses.

I have always found “on-the-job training” and solving problems and learning from fixing them the best form of education rather than from books or courses.
Linux has its own jargon and acronyms which involves learning, but nowdays help is freely available on forums like this, if you search or ask questions.

PS: You may wish to download and have a read of @Swarfendors unofficial manual for Zorin 15 here: Unofficial Manual for Zorin 15

1 Like

In the past I’ve done things like list /bin, /usr/bin and then read up about the commands and what they do.

I’ve also read up about functionality Linux and then experimented.

Somebody was asking about backup/restore of LUKS headers on encrypted drives a few days ago. Never done it before so I read up on how to encrypt a drive and how to backup and restore the headers. Both he and I learnt something new.

Have an idea of what you want to achieve, a project, a goal and learn what you need to get the end result you want.

you are right but it is nice to have something to fall back on.