Libre Office stays open when a component is used

@2disbetter, :+1: I am right with you on that.
We currently have a choice how apps can be installed. We are not yet forced down the Snap or Flatpak route, happily.
I should explain my reference to Linux desktop "security" hinges on users being able to install apps from a reliable source repository. You don't get that security with the market leading OS. With that OS it is so easy (not in a good way) to download and install apps. You simply go to a website, download the app installer and say to yourself "do you feel lucky punk" and hope the resident antivirus/antimalware software protects your back.

1 Like

Hi, the problem is snap.d - and who is the wonderful person that brought that to us? The same ignominious personage that wrote Pulse Audio. And now they are looking at embedding a daemon on top of snap.d as part of the system so we can at some point look forward to the same issue as when you try and remove Pulse Audio - watch your system go down the tubes when you try and remove snap.d or anything tied in with it - it's not that simple. Sadly it appears that Canonical (aka billionaire Mark Shuttleworth) is trying to be the next Mr Jobs - if you've seen any of his presentations you'll know what I mean. It now appears that Red Hat or more so the Community driven element, Fedora, are 'at war' with each other for the lion's share of however small the Linux market is. To say that malware targeted against Linux is irrelevant - just go to Linux Security website and you will see a whole plethora of malware, but mainly aimed at dissidents in despotic regimes using Linux to get to the outside world. And with Covid-19 being rampant, no-one is immune from theft of money from the bank - here in the UK, families who are on the poverty line, who are eligible for Free School Meals for their children have been duped into giving over their Bank details by Scammers utilising the fact that this Government was withdrawing FSM during the lockdown and fake organisations offering ways to ensure their children would not go without. Lowest of the Low - put your own description in here!
Once we are on the embedded route of packaging is probably when I give up computing period - mine's the third hollowed out tree on the left. As usual we are 'sold' on the face of it what appears to be a good idea, but just like Microslop, good ideas aren't always what we end up with, far, far from it. I guess I could go back to my first love, Amiga - drooooool:

I was always annoyed with mainstream press quoting Amiga as a Toy - I only had 1 Mb of onboard memory when I purchased my Amiga 1500 (which I still have). I used it for Desktop Publishing, using Page Setter. Great little program.

Where have I complained about the length of you or anyone's posts?!? I'm wordy myself.

I actually said at one point that if advice were to be given it not be in Linux shorthand.

I didn't ask it to be changed to suit me. In fact I didn't even bring up the subject of snaps. I was perfectly happy with the Software store until you repeatedly invited me not to be.

At which point I indicated this would be a very hard OS to recommend to people less savvy than you or I. That it's a shame the Software store doesn't work as you would like it to.

If you start a fire all by yourself and get upset a house is on fire, what did you expect?

It is not a matter of Snap Installs not suiting me personally. A security risk and a broken promise: These are valid and very real issues, not a matter of a simple preference. Yes, some of us recommend avoiding them. The difference being that you have a choice- to avoid them or not. Whereas we have a reduced choice: In some cases, Canonical has replaced secure Repository installations with Snaps, which they promised that they would not ever do.

I cannot agree with your conclusion here. We have been helping members on this forum and on the old one for quite a long time.
Your standards as to what you consider easy boggle my mind. In all this time, you are the First Person I have ever exchanged posts with like this that has resisted the terminal and normal installations with such commentary. The "less savvy" people you refer to have been coming and going from the forums for a long time and have received help, used the commands for terminal or for GUI functions and moved on along.

You have repeatedly pointed out that for the last 29 years, you have been using Mac. I think you are set in your ways. I mean... That's quite a change! You are suddenly in unfamiliar territory.
Apple and Mac are costly- and big. Perhaps due to this, in all this time, you had supplied GUI applications for all needs and were fully supported by well paid developers.
Mac is a Unix-Like OS that uses the terminal and uses terminal commands just as we do. You just never had reason to refer to them before. It appears that your resistance to the terminal is not a recent thing.
This is not Mac and you cannot expect Mac.
In my observed opinion after countless threads communicating with countless people on these forums, you have shown an intense resistance to opening your mind up to the tools and utilities provided in a way I find to be unusual.

That I try to help you to make use of these powerful tools is not mocking. It is frustrating, however and you may be picking up on that. When a person says that they want to be able to function without ever using a terminal, then they are closing a gateway to the free and unrestricted control of their machine and our ability to help them solve and troubleshoot issues on this forum. It ties the hands of the help desk.
And the "less savvy" users open the terminal and follow along on here every day and have been for years.

I understand that Synaptic and Terminal appear daunting on the surface. They are just new to you, is all. You are not on a Mac at this time, by your own choice. The onus is on you to be willing to learn and expand outside of the boundaries you set for the last few decades. Because Linux cannot conform to the experience you got used to and it would be improper to expect it to.

Incorrect. I used Apple for 29 years and switched to Windows 10 some 4 to 5 years ago. And I've eyeballed Linux since the early 2000s and VBox'd Mint, Ubuntu, KDE, Elementary, Budgie about a year ago.. and recently Mate and Zorin. I wanted to give Pop OS a try but it wouldn't install of USB, a known issue.

So like your comment about lengthy posts you're not even close to right. Speaking of which --

-- you still haven't provided evidence that I repeatedly mocked the length of some of your posts. Either do so or retract that paranoid comment.

Also you're being too obnoxious to continue a discussion on your REAL subjects, snaps & evil Canonical & sharing feedback on free software. So I'm over that chip on your shoulder. Any words on those subjects I'm skimming right by.

You mean like... Here?

Source
https://forum.zorin.com/t/1-month-of-using-zorin/1290/10

A direct response after your Debsums thread:

Mock:

Chip on shoulder, Paranoid, Obnoxious and Mocking...
JohnnyHart you are skirting into making personal accusations and are beginning like you are making personal attacks. You were doing fine and then kept editing in more anger.
Either take a break or have one given to you.
We can discuss differences of opinion or resistance to ideas but the Personal Stuff is just looking for a fight.

Because I said I've used Mac OS 29 years straight doesn't mean I haven't used Windows these last years. A picture saves a thousand words --

So made a presumption and were wrong. That's on you.

Because you're over sensitive and paranoid, you read that to be an attack. Unfortunately for you I was sincere in wanting to be kind to all members and save them time. Honestly.

That's not mocking. That's being considerate. Then I was genuinely delighted when someone shared a wordless link.

And let's remember what you said exactly --

Why are you referencing a response to Carmar? I believe a Mod would agree it wasn't even directed at you but a reply to another user. And yet you're taking offense anyway?

Wow. Yet again you made a presumption and were wrong. Again that's on you.

Seriously. Calm down.

It is not for you to remind me of such after your behavior but for me to remind you to do so.
You have repeatedly used Word Play and Semantics, behaved in order to fight and are now presuming yourself the calm victim after making a slew of personal accusations. You went on a litany of supposed presumptions I got wrong such as: Well... I THINK your claim is based on the fact I said "for the last 29 years". I really do not care when you spent that 29 years using Mac. Playing that off as some major misquote of you is absurd.
My example that you say is not a mock is no more mocking than my explaining the usefulness of the terminal. Your double standards are becoming trying. I addressed your claim that you felt uncomfortable above with an: "What if I told you that I felt uncomfortable due to such and such" example. This was to show you that your claim of discomfort was subjective and based on perceptions. Yet, you took it seriously and started making personal accusations of me being Paranoid and overly sensitive instead of accepting the example as "Ah, I can see how perceptions make a difference into how I read things." That's irony.
You missed the point.

That is Enough. This is now the Second Moderator Warning I have ever had to issue on Zorin Forum.