Lightweight browser recommendation ... but with caution!

Hi, I recently resolved an issue for someone in my City having issues on that other OS and tutorial video freezing. It was a notebook with 4 Gb RAM but Firefox was maxing out - the solution? Midori! The feedback was very positive. It is now cross-platform and was taken over by the Astian foundation based in Bogota, Columbia.
The current release is now at 1.1.4 and annoyingly in the repo my current GNU/Linux I am using is pointing to what it thinks is more up-to-date than the one installed, possiblyu due to the numbering scheme. Under old management, current is 7.02! The caution relates to adding extenstions - there is no way to remove them once installed so if you do want to try an extension I suggest you try in a Virtual Machine inside your chosen OS, make a backup of your VM before adding Midori and if not happy delete it. I must say I am very impressed with Midori 1.1.4 - download the appropriate package and use GDEBI Package Installer to install.

1 Like
1 Like

Well on a different issue the user is having on Windows 10, they now say they don’t like Midori (apperance I think), so here are some others to consider:

https://linuxhint.com/top_lightweight_web_browsers_linux/

1 Like

You can use duckduck go browser.

@PatrickSokol No chance - not now they are censoring searches! Use something like Falkon (formerly quipzilla) with Mojeek search engine!

Also..Brave Search is pretty good. Most search engines give poor results out of US and other developed countries. Brave search gave me the best results in India..

PS..I still use Google (for now). I don't remember what, but there was a missing feature in Brave Search that brought me back to Google.

mojeek is the best search engine, and not just for privacy - if you don't find what you are after it gives alternative search engines for you to try at the bottom of it's home page/search page.

I had tried Mojeek before but unfortunately, it gave poorer results than other privacy focused search engines..I am quite sure this is because the engine is still not ready for other countries...I searched the name of a famous Indian actor and it gave very few results to start with. It could not give any image and there was no "Videos" category. Mojeek also lacks dark mode and does not give suggestions when you type.

I searched for "Amitabh Bachchan".

Google

Brave Search

Mojeek

The only thing closest to Google was Brave Search. I hate their browser but was really amazed by their Search engine. Brave Search was the only search engine that provided good quality and quantity of results and at times performed better than Google.

I prefer privacy over Google spyware anyday!

1 Like

Great point...I will still be following these open-source privacy focused search engines and replace google when they are ready.

I am thinking of Ghost in the Shell.
We cannot hack out images out of the publics eyes.

If I am in a store and I am publicly seen admiring a product on a shelf, a sales person may notice this, walk over, and begin a pitch. This might be annoying. I'm not harmed. Annoyed. If I really like the product and am interested in learning more, I may not be annoyed. I may grill them.
Then, they are annoyed. And unlike me, they are not allowed to show it.

But online, the dynamic changes. Instead of being spotted by one salesperson, you can be inundated by thousands of them. That you are interested in one product becomes a commodity that can be sold.
In such a case, it is not privacy we are earnest about protecting, but identity.

1 Like

Anyone heard that webbrowser? It build inside Adobe Flash Player for some music radio players like a spotify example.

That sounds fishy. Flash is dead.

1 Like

... theft to finish the last sentence! :wink:

2 Likes

That why better sometimes asking on webside it wrote support linux.

Top 3 on my List:-

1. Brave
  2. Libre Wolf
  3. Mojeek
5 Likes

I have two first and standard Firefox from Zorin.
It interesting what should be playlist software on Zorin 17. I cannot waiting what they gived there. I hope this version will be working on my PC.

I'm now using Epiphany Web Browser. It's really a delight to use it. Fast, light and beautiful :slight_smile:

Epiphany is good but there are other good lightweight browsers too such as falkon and midori. As for Qwant it had to be bailed out with an €8 bn bailout from Huawei and a documentary on TV examined surveillance devices against the Uighur community in China that clearly had Huawei involvement. Don't expect Qwant to be free from spyware in the long run. On my smartphone I now use Open Browser with mojeek search engine. Interestingly the mojeek search engine comes back with more results in Open Browser than when used with the Bromite based browser that comes with /e/OS.