Linux is great.. if I ignore 3 problems

I switched from Windows at the end of last year and was really suprised by how smooth that went. I really like the system on which Linux desktop is built and how fast I felt at home again. I managed to set up my system in a very similar way to windows 10 which I used for way too long to get used to another way. I also really like the work flow and how much I can tweak the settings.

But even tho I searched the whole internet I never managed to fix those three problems to which I don't even think is an universal fix:

1. Midle mouse click pasting
    Despite what many long time linux users belive, I don't like this feature, I can't get used to it and I don't understand why the option to disable it never works. I tried pretty much every fix I could find and managed to fix it on Linux mint but could not do it on Zorin. Its such a frustrating feature since I use password managers a lot and have posted some passwords on the internet unintentionally. The gnome-extensions option just outright doesnt work at all (and regardless of system never has in my experience).

2. Middle mouse click scrolling
    This was such a good feature in Windows and I tried many steps to fix it. There are some places where its fixable (Firefox for example) but not on vanilla Discord and not in the system as a whole. I can sort of understand why this is not standard (see point 1) but at the same time don't understand why there is no such option to turn this on system and program wide. Windows has managed to do it, why not Linux?

3. Closing Windows by clicking the top right corner
    I managed to sort of fix this by using the hot corners extension and earlier (before the code broke) in gtk-3 settings but sadly its not the same. I really miss this feature and it seems like a gnome-bug that none in 8 years has even tried to fix. I think about switching to kde or something else since this seems to not be a problem on another environment but would probably also miss the gnome environment. Maybe i'll switch to it eventually.

Anyways, those are my 3 pain problems and I hope there will be a fix for it sometime soon as those are things that I seriously struggle to adapt with.

1 Like

This must be a Gnome feature because I have not encountered it on Mate, Cinnamon or XFCE...

1 Like

Huh, weird because I encountered it on Cinnamon as well. But good to know, maybe the best thing is really to switch away from Gnome and not blame Linux (although that was an exaggeration anyways :wink: )

I might need to login on Cinnamon and check. I would not have put it past me to have disabled that right away and forgotten all about it.

Do you mean closing individual windows or closing Windows as in the operating system?
If you mean the latter, I'm not so sure if I'd agree with that being a feature: what happens when I accidentally move my mouse over to the corner?

Closing individual Windows like in Windows. In Windows you move your mouse to the top right corner and click to close the maximized window. In zorin i move to the top right and miss the closing icon by a couple pixels.

1 Like

Ah, I see. Another thing you can do is double right-click the frame of the window and close it from the menu there. Note that you have to click on an empty area at the top of the window (not over buttons, for example). It adds a couple more steps in comparison but will work all the same, but if you want even less steps than that try using the keyboard shortcuts; Ctrl + Q will close the currently focused window.

If you try XFCE you might like another feature they have over there where scrolling up will hide the window and scrolling down will show it. I personally love this feature, wish it were available for Gnome as well.

1 Like

I tried using the shortcuts (as pretty much everyone suggests doing) but most of the time im just using the mouse and I can't really get over the habit I built over the past 10 years or so. The first option just sounds like extra steps :smiley:

Yeah, not everyone likes using the keyboard but it's indeed quite powerful as you can even create you own shortcuts. And yes, it's more steps but not that many and you don't have to aim for the corner it could be anywhere at the top of the window.

But how about a middle ground then? If you use the Activities Overview (which you can launch by pressing the Super/Win key), you can hover over any window and a close button will appear in the corner (notice the file explorer at bottom-right corner, I just didn't include the cursor):

1 Like

Why is this happening?

1 Like

This happens because windows uses QT and GTK for their graphics, while Gnome only uses GTK. Pixel measurement may be different (gnome may use 1.2 pixels as 1 pixel to allow spacing). Gnome's click area for the close button is also smaller (as is the icon).

It could also be that their "windows" are not as precise in target areas for clicking.

It could also be the mouse is out of calibration.

There are many things that can contribute to missing the area. Using Linux more will make this tiny annoyances in the past as part of the learning curve.

Its mostly a Gnome thing as quite a few people experience this bug on Gnome with the exact problem I have.
See here: GtkHeaderBar: Close button's mouse-over area doesn't extend to top-right pixel when maximized (fitts' law) (#583) · Issues · GNOME / gtk · GitLab

There are many things that can contribute to missing the area. Using Linux more will make this tiny annoyances in the past as part of the learning curve.

I wish this was true and it is to an extend. I learned a lot about .css and the terminal but since the problem still exists and I found no long term working solution for my use case its just frustrating. Its not getting a less annoyance either, sadly.

In .css, setting a margin may do the trick. Or reducing padding.

It depends on the system theme. Which theme are you using?
Maybe we can solve this one.

This is not a Gnome thing by any means. This is something that can be present on any desktop environment. All you need is for the close button to extend all the way to the edge of the window.

Im using the blue-dark standard system theme.

at least in the gtk-settings it was kinda fixable (like I said in mint but not zorin for some reason) but on firefox, thunderbird and some other apps it has been a pain because they force a different theme. Or are you talking about increasing the clickable size in the theme itself? Because that would probably solve the problem :slight_smile:

Yes, you nailed it.

See, Mint uses XFCE or Cinnamon which both supply a full-fledged Window Manager. Windows OS also employs a Window Manager.
In Mint, it is XFCE or Cinnamon, depending on the Desktop Environment you chose at installation.
On Zorin OS Lite, it is XFCE.
Cinnamon uses Metacity for the Window Manager theming.
XFCE uses XFWM4 for the Window Manager theming.
Both of these set the close button based on the Image File size used for that theme.

Gnome, however, is different from XFCE, Cinnamon, Windows OS and... everyone else.
Gnome employed CSD's (Client Side Decorations) which shoves the titlebar down into the .css themed application widget, removing it from Window Manager duties. In this way, Gnome could remove a bunch of their workload, while telling the users that "CSD's are better. Just take it."
This means that on the Gnome Desktop, the .css file in the theme can be used to adjust the margins, padding or image size, though it is a lot more tedious and difficult to get everything to line up, not scale or appear blurry and so on.
This can be done and we can work on it as a project... But you may also try using Zorin OS Lite and enjoying an easier time of it, too. Both are good valid paths.
Each with their pros and cons.

1 Like