Login hangs after resuming from hibernation

I have been using Linux Mint for several years but decided to swap to Zorin (16 Core) and I have installed it successfully on a Asus K53 but I have a problem om my Lenovo Thinkpad X240. When I closed the lid and reopen it I have a normal login screen but no field to type the password. I can move the cursor but there's no respons clicking anywhere. Then after approximatelly 30 seconds the password field appears, I can login normally and everything works fine - until the next time I close the lid.

I've found out it's a problem on Ubuntu and often in combination with Nvidia - but mine has Intel graphics. I've tried several suggested solutions but none of them works. I have also tried to change some BIOS settings but they are also effortless.

This is really annoying since I like Zorin and everything else seems to work fine.

Hello dynaflux, welcome to the forum.

How much ram does the Lenovo have? Is the size of your hibernate partition double the size of your ram?

One idea is that the hardware is a bit dated and it's taking a minute to wake and load everything, hence the ram question. Another is that there is a programmed delay so that things are in place when you do log in. It's something that I'll have to look into.

The hibernate partition is recommended to be twice the size of your ram at minimum.

I have 8 GB RAM, checked the swap size is 2 GB. I'll try changing that.

For the most part, when you hibernate it attempts to store all of the session information... from os to applications running. So ensuring it is at least double the ram will help with that.

Because your ram is limited, you may want to ensure swap is also double the size of ram, maybe decrease the time to access it.

Also, as Harvey noted, if using hibernate, swap should be on a Swap partition, not the default Swap File auto-created by Zorin Installation.

I have found different instructions for creating a swap partition - please direct me to the right one.

Is there a way doing it in Gparted?

There's one thing I don't get: I also installed Zorin on an Asus laptop with 6 GB RAM (less on the Thinkpad and maybe five years older) - it starts up immediatelly after hibernation. Also 2 GB swap size.

This is because there is no one path. Yes, you can use Gparted, too. The end result is what you are aiming for, independent of which path you took to get there.

Remotely, over a forum... Those that offer suggestions often must "shoot from the hip" given that there is much we cannot see or examine going on with your computer. User History matters a great deal, too and that is almost always a total mystery to us.
This leaves Guesses and Suggestions that are meant to be helpful, but are, by no means, guaranteed to get you to the solution.
In this case, it is quite true that you should have a separate Swap Partition for Hibernate. Using a swap file is perfectly fine without hibernate. So, that suggestion is more to ensure you continue having a good experience, even if it does not directly resolve this one.

RAM issues commonly cause hibernation slow resume. But another common cause is having Wifi set to Manual instead of Automatic connect.
You may test using Ethernet for a brief time and testing hibernate to see if you see a difference. If you already have wifi set to auto and Ethernet showed a strong difference, your wifi driver may need to be updated.

The RAM on the Asus is large enough to access the entire hibernate partition and it's contents... meaning the system doesn't have to decide on what to put in RAM and what to put in SWAP as well as where to split it. The faster processor in the ASUS contributes to the quickness by processing and transferring the information faster.

The best thing you could do to speed it up is increase the amount of RAM in the Lenovo. Make sure it's the right clock speed, otherwise the motherboard will not be able to communicate with it and it will cause issues.

A SATA hard drive will also help with the transfer of data, if it doesn't contain one already.

On another note, you can't expect older hardware to perform the same as newer hardware. That's unrealistic. The upgrade in RAM will help, but it's limited by the clock speed, bus bandwidth and the speed of the processor, as well as the number of cores. 30 seconds isn't that much of a delay.

Without changing out to a new laptop that, may be what you will have to deal with. The limitation isn't software or OS specific... it's hardware. Linux can't fix old hardware to run as fast as new hardware... it can improve the speed compared to windows in the same hardware (I'm sure win 10 on that machine is dog slow). Be realistic in your expectations.

Just to be clear: the Asus is pretty old (6 GB RAM) and I haven't to high expectations on performance but I've been running Linux Mint with no problem for years. Like five years older than the Lenovo. And resumes immediatelly from hibernation.
Then the Lenovo - it's not super high performance but 8 GB RAM, SSD and i5 quad core, runs W10 fast and Mint very smooth and fast.

I haven't any expectations on superior performance - at my work we run an upgraded Thinkpad T61 (and I can tell you that's almost antique) with Linux Mint for surveillance and everything worked right from installation. It's slow but decent.

Another couple gig of ram should help... check the Lenovo stats and what the max is, it shouldn't cost that much to get it maxed out on ram... along with an ssd should solve the issue then.

Have you tried wiping and reinstalling Zorin OS?

I have 8 GB and SSD.

Yes, I have tried that. I'll try again and increase the swap partition in disk configuration.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.