Love 💙 the new blue hue of Zorin forum

I've been using dark theme here ever since it was implemented. But I also have a browser wide dark theme too that makes all sites dark. But it conflicts with some sites to be able to see anything, so I got to have it turned off on some sites lol.

Now if that ain't a conundrum... If it's not, I don't know what is..

Oh I know.. Calling your cable provider when there's an internet service outage
and the answering services repeatedly tells you to to sign into to their website...
That's not a fun experience.

2 Likes

Now most of us have a data plan on mobile, it is possible :wink:

1 Like

Where I live, way too many people on data. When we get an outage, almost impossible to even make a call.

We subscribe to two different companies for internet and mobile. While we would not benefit from a bundle discount, it is highly unlikely that 2 networks go down at the same time.

True, but if your power goes out, your going to lose connection to one network regardless, unless your a fancy pants like me, and have a generator! :stuck_out_tongue:

I too have mobile data as a backup, I am always adding more to it each other. And with tethering abilities, I can tether the phone to my tablet, and provide it mobile net if need be.

But as long as there is still internet going down that bloody cable, even if the power does go out, as long as I fire up that noisy butt of a generator, it will keep the net powered up for me.

I can cope with that with a fully charged mobile phone and data line!
Says me whose phone is almost always out of battery :wink:

1 Like

Alright FrenchPress, prepare to laugh, cause you know you will. You know how we been talking about what happens to your net if you have a power outage and your only left with mobile net?

Well, guess what just happened today, our neighborhood power went out due to massive damage from wind storms, apparantly so bad, that our power company has no estimated time for power to return.

The power outage is also so bad, that the cell phone towers where I can get mobile data from are in low power mode. And because of that, I also have no internet that I can get from them.

So how do I have internet right now you ask? Well, thats cause I have a generator. And, I am lucky that I had some fuel left that I could run in the generator. I don't have a lot mind you though.

So I am now back on the net with my tablet. So its all your fault, all this bad juju talk of losing power and net, and then I suddenly got cursed by it.

Kidding FrenchPress. I have a scientifical mind, I don't believe in bad juju and curses. I just thought you'd have a good laugh at that lol.

1 Like

Actually I am more concerned for the content of your fridge/freezer. From a housewife's point of view, my reaction was far from laughing.

I experienced 3 days black out while I was still in Canada. I only had an average size freezer compartment but even then, we had to discard several hundred dollar worth of food (it happened in the middle of summer) since we had no way to cook them (most of Canadian homes have electric cooking system only).

I hope you have a decent gas BBQ so that all that defrosted foods would not be wasted.

I know exactly what you mean, its happened before, as in, this one time power was out in our entire town for an entire week, we had no generator then, food went bad in the fridge. Back then, we had no propane stove either, so we really suffered, cause guess what?

Our home is 100% electric, just like you are describing, yes, including the heat. So, when the power goes out during the winter time, prepare to freeze, and freeze we did. No hot meals, no heat, no power, no fun. So guess why we got a propane stove after that? Exactly.

And since then we've had many power outages over the years, the 2nd longest power outage we've had since living here was a 3-day outage. The last time the power went out, was actually this summer believe it or not!

Some dumb trucker thought it was a good idea to drive a truck that was far too tall, down a narrow lane road meant for cars, pickup trucks, and small box trucks, and he snagged the power lines, bringing down several power poles in the process.

Our power was out for a total of 17-hours! Thankfully we had our generator by then. Today power was out for a total of 6-hours. The power came back on, thank God! lol

I tell you what FrenchPress, I might do tough work, but despite that, I am still a city slicker. I need my heating/cooling, I need my lights, and I need my digital entertainment like being here on ZorinGroup for example. Yes, I admit it, completely addicted to the internet, what else am I going to do? LOL

So happy to return to the 21st century. Having the generator is nice, but it uses fuel, so I rather have the grid power. If anyone is curious about what kind of generator I have. Link bellow...

Westinghouse WGEN 7500-9500 WATT Generator

2 Likes

In Quebec, when one-week power outage happened due to a freezing rain, people had to be evacuated from their homes since there was no heat source. When it happened in winter time in Canada, it is a dead or alive situation.

At least here in France, people knows it is better to cook with gas. Our current cooking system is on the gas :slight_smile:

As for generator, well, our town in very close to Paris and it has a huge industrial area. Infrastructure is quite robust here and we are benefiting from it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

100% endorsement.

4 Likes

And you know what else gas stoves taught me? Percolated coffee is better tasting then DRIP. So when that last power outage this summer happend, when our power was out for 17-hours? Well it came back on with a real popper, and fried the old DRIP. So, we made coffee on the stove top percolator until we could buy a new coffee maker.

Do you think we went with another DRIP? Heck no! We bought an electric coffee percolator, with automatic percolation shutoff when done, goes into keep warm mode, a lot like a rice maker does. Ohhhhhhh, I am telling you, once you've had percolated, you don't go back to DRIP, no mam! :grin:

Also, if our town told me that we had to evacuate because of freezing rain, I'd say, dig me a hole, put a bunker down there, and I will live underground like a mole. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Maybe you need to run over there with a generator set. :wink:

Re Gas. World spike in wholesale gas price. Expect big bills this winter folks. You know the routine, prices go up quick, but down slow (if at all).

1 Like

100% endorsement (TM) :grin:

But you know you can also make a cup of coffee with a single candle stick. :candle:

This trick I've learnt from an old cook book written at around the pioneer days in the US.

It requires time but not much work.

1. Mix ground coffee and water before going to bed.

2. Next morning, strain the coffee into a metal cup.

3. Heat the cup with a big candle.

This way, there is no need to make a fire (a big job in those days) just for a cup of coffee. It is also a good idea for summer time, when the last thing wanted is to heat up the kitchen.

I showed this trick to my mother-in-law and she has been making her morning cup this way.

Funny how the knowledge is passed down from American pioneers to a Japanese woman then to to a French old lady who never left Europe.

2 Likes

<--- Believes in bad juju. Have been superstitious since a young kid playing baseball. But only because it's REAL...!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.