Missing options in Thunar File Manager

Hello, I recently installed zorin os 15.3 (lite xfce edition) and I just love it, everything works smooth like butter. I have one problem that is with the thunar file manager
I like the way it looks and feels, but I cannot find search and terminal option in it. After going through some searches, I came to know about an option called “configure custom actions” I tried to add terminal option with the following parameters:
Name: Open Terminal Here
Description: Opens terminal in current directory
Command: xfce4-terminal -cd %f
also added a terminal icon and clicked on “ok”, but when I right-click in thunar I cannot find the option, that I created. I don’t know how to add search option.

Please help me add both of those options as I am actually new to linux :blush:

1 Like

Welcome, CatNoir. I understand how you feel, those are among the first things I do upon a fresh installation.
For ‘Open Terminal’ command, please try:

exo-open --working-directory %f --launch TerminalEmulator

For "Search’ command:

gnome-search-tool --path=%f --contains=

I tried both of the commands you specified, but no extra option appears in thunar’s context menu (right click menu). Suppose even if the command given is wrong, then also the extra options should appear right?

I don’t know what is going wrong here, have tried to reinstall thunar earlier, but in vein :frowning_face:

For search, you might use the XFCE Catfish app

I do not understand why the custom command for terminal is nto working, either. I just tested this on two machines and it works on both.
You might try the command

x-terminal-emulator

Nothing comes in the context menu, is there any way to restore it to zorin os default thunar as when I had initially installed the os it had both terminal and search option but disappeared after 2-3 days of using zorin

The Thunar and Thunar-plugin packages are all present in the Zorin Repo. You might try installing them manually.

The cat fish search is fine and I can even search with in the start menu itself, but like there is an archive plugin for thunar, is there any terminal plugin for it?

Not that I know of. I know Nemo uses one, since I use Nemo, normally.
Could you please check what version of Thunar you are using?

thunar --version

For me, it is 1.8.12

XFCE has been going through some changes as its developers push through the (horrible) XFCE 4.16 version.

Here is the output of the command:

thunar 1.8.12 (Xfce 4.14)

Copyright (c) 2004-2019
	The Thunar development team. All rights reserved.

Written by Benedikt Meurer <benny@xfce.org>.

Please report bugs to <https://bugzilla.xfce.org/>.

The version is 1.8.12 (Xfce 4.14)

My Xfce version seems to be old, how to upgrade it?

Yours is the current version.

What I was referring to is that the XFCE dev team is currently working on 4.16. Other developments are ahead, in anticipation of the release of 4.16
I believe that Thunar is currently at 1.8.15

We have the same version, though and it is working on mine. This suggests that upgrading your version of Thunar to 1.8.15 will not resolve your issue.

Could you navigate to
~/.config/Thunar/uca.xml
and check its contents?

If the file is not present, create it (uca.xml) using your text editor.
In the text, paste in:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<actions>
<action>
<icon>utilities-terminal</icon>
<name>Open Terminal Here</name>
<unique-id>1601595395780335-1</unique-id>
<command>exo-open --working-directory %f --launch TerminalEmulator</command>
<description>Example for a custom action</description>
<patterns>*</patterns>
<startup-notify/>
<directories/>
</action>
</actions>

Save then log out and in or reboot and check Thunar for Open in Terminal option.

Actually I fixed the problem, you see my zorin was not working properly so I reinstalled it and it was fixed. Thank you very much for your help :relaxed:

1 Like

Umm, after 1 hour of reinstalling zorin again both of the option went again :confused:

Mine seems to be different:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> utilities-terminal Open Terminal Here 1603016844630349-1 exo-open --working-directory %f --launch TerminalEmulator Example for a custom action

This is very odd.

In order to post the coding you see on that .xml file, you must no-parse it on the forum software.
Sadly, it appears necessary to do each line, line by line.
In the toolbar where you make your post, you will see a talk bubble icon (for quote), The B icon for bold, I for italics, Link, Quotation Marks, then this> </> . That icon disables parsing for that line.
You can hit it, which will indent in four spaces, then paste in the line. Then repeat for each line.
OR - you can take a screenshot of your .xml file opened on your screen.

Are you using the default xfce4-terminal or using a different terminal?

I noticed one thing that is if I use root thunar for one time then from that time this issue will start and even after replacing my file’s contents with yours it stays the same without any difference :thinking:

xfce4 terminal, and I will send the screenshot instead :relaxed:

1 Like

How are you elevating Thunar to root?

sudo thunar, this is how I do that anything wrong here?

Umm sorry the file has been modified with the content that you told to replace with so I cannot send the screenshot