Moving Hidden Files to New Zorin Install

As I have just reinstalled Zorin 16 Pro by way of Rescuezilla and have installed most of my apps I use daily and have not so far occurred any of the problems I had before ..... I want to add my games and other stuff from the copy I made of my Home Folder from my old Zorin files ....

I didn't transfer any games yet to my new Home Folder but first before I do I have some questions involving my Hidden Files Folder .....

All my save game files are stored in the old Hidden Files Folder ..... but I'm not sure just how to find them but that is a topic for another thread .....

I believe that the .config holds the configuration of just about all the features of my OS and could there for be quite dangerous if I were to copy the whole folder to my new system ....

I don't really want to do that because of all the problems I had before .... so what I would like to do is just install the .config files that would be safe ...... namely some of my apps like XnViewMP ..... anything to do with Steam (for my games) and others I may not know about right now ..... here is a photo of my Hidden Files Folder if it will help ..... and also a photo of my .config folder .....

I'm just guessing but it might be easier to tell me which ones I shouldn't download .... and there are some I don't use any more so I wouldn't include them .....

#1 ..... my Hidden Folders photo

#2 ..... My .config Folder

Thanks in advanced for any help you can give .... I know it is a lot of extra work for you folks .....

Because it is such a long drawn out task I decided to open both new and old Hidden Files Folder side by side and view the contents ..... open a new folder which I titled AHOLD in the new version of Home / Hidden Files ..... I will copy all those files to it to save ..... then copy and past the old files to the new Home / Hidden Files .... and then try each program to see that it works ..... but leave the the new files in the AHOLD folder just in case ....

I will do the same thing for the .config files ..... again only opening the files I think I would need and doing the above steps .... I already did the XnViewMP and it worked perfectly ....

Yes it is a log drawn out procedure but I can't think of another way to do it ..... :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Really, it can be long, but not difficult.
Your configurations are created whenever you choose a custom setting for something.
So really, the easiest way to deal with ~/.config is to start at default (Where you are now) and when you see something you wish to customize, just make the customization.
Unless you have a mountain of configuration files; if you have any doubt about whether your configs are the problem, just start fresh.
It's more trouble than it is worth to try to copy it over.
If you are confident that your configs are safe, just copy the whole thing over.
All or nothing deal.

2 Likes

Good advise as usual ..... some .config files I may never need but some I will such as saved games ..... I did reinstall my .config file for Vivaldi and it completely reinstalled all of my old settings including my passwords which would have taken me days to find ..... so in that case it worked fantastic .....

As some of you may know there is no way to transport your old passwords in Vivaldi even to a new copy of the app .... there used to be a way but for some reason they disabled it years ago people complain about it all the time but they refuse to budge .....

If I can find all my saved game files I will make a complete disk backup using Timeshift as I believe that will be the last hurdle .... the only games I concerned about right now is

Stardew Valley
Encased
The Pirate: Caribbean Hunt
The Pirate: Plague of the Dead
Tank Force

I have a few others downloaded but haven't started playing them yet so no need for saved games ..... all these games I got free from Steam but as I play off-line the majority of the time I don't believe Steam will have a copy of my saves ..... the only game I have found so far that can't be played off line is Tank Force .....

I found the save game files for Stardew Valley already in stalled in my .config

Thanks to Storm from an old post he made to me about Encased game saves I found that file ..... which the same folder also contained files for the other 3 ....

I wonder if that is were Steam saves all it's game files by the developer's name .... ?????

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.