Moving on, where I've been, and a few updates with my Linux journey

I can see both sides on this one.

If a person gives the computer light use, watches netflix and browses the web; saves a few scans and photos... 20 gigs is within reason.
There are many people that Never Clean Up. They keep stuff for no reason and it fills their hard drive - so they expand the drive slots instead of getting out the shredder. Email is like that too...

On the other side; I do a lot of data keeping, business and personal... I also like to make icon sets and themes and those get very space heavy. Most iconsets or themes have a "Project" directory that is a good ten times the amount of the original product, due to me creating and floating many designs and ideas before settling on one.
I save them for future use.
Gamers, movie and music enthusiasts will need a lot more space. A professional or amateur Photographer would, as well.

Lastly, there are those light users that still manage to fill /var/logs up like its magic, quickly filling up Root and running out of space.
I really recommend greater than 64 gigs capacity, just for a safe margin. Plus, you like to have only half or less of the drive filled at any given time. Above that and it's a push.
Partly because it is easy to lose track of space. Especially as data is used and purged that is not counted to your overall drive usage. You can easily have a couple of gigs that are unavailable and used, that does not show up in your usage since it is block and marked within the system as such.

2 Likes

I think I understand what you're getting at and I agree. I'm not saying that I don't have a lot of data on hard drives, I do. I've encoded much of my video collection to MP4s and have several terabytes of video files on external hard drives. But, I don't consider those to be part of my base install of my OS.

One of my PCs, my EeePCBox, is the rig I use to do the video encoding. But, I only have an 8GB of internal storage installed on it. My Q4OS OS with Trinity desktop environment, web browser, video encoding, CD authoring software, media players and assortment of desktop tools and utilities all install just fine and I still have well over a gig of space for what ever files I need to store in my /home folder. To me, this is very reasonable.

But, not everyone is the same . I was just amazed at how much space today's "modern" operating systems, like Feren require just to do the basic install.

2 Likes