My OS 16 Pro feels more slugish than 15.3 Core. How about yours?

Computer is a HP EliteDesk 800 G2 (35w) i5 quad core with 8GB ram.

I'm not sure why my computer feels slower than it did running 15.3 Core which ran very snappy.

I have never owned Pro (Ultimate), so maybe the difference is just Pro being heavier than Core?

Or maybe this is more of an OS 16 being heavier than OS 15.3 thing (not Pro vs Core)?

Either way, my fresh install of OS 16 Pro feels much slower than my previous install of OS 15.3 Core.

How about you guys?

I only have 16 (beta) and now Pro. I can't see any different between the two.

My Specs:
| AMD Ryzen 1700x 3.4 GHz | ASUS PRIME X370-A | 32 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 | ASUS Nvidia 1070 8 GB | SSD 1000 GB |

Is there a way to turn down the eye candy similar to Windoze "appearance" settings?

Try "Zorin Appearance" and go to Interface and disable animation.

Thanks for the tip but I always have animations disabled.

Which video card do you have?

Not entirely sure but a quick web search leads me to believe it's Intel HD 530. My display is running at 2560x1440 with 125% (fractional) scaling.

Update: Yes, the above has been confirmed:

~$ sudo lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06)

I think it's time to add more ram.

In the meantime, I made the following tweaks to see if it will help:

sudo sysctl vm.swappiness=10
sudo sysctl vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50

Then opened sysctl.conf file:

sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf

And copied the above two lines into the file & rebooted.

1 Like

8GB of RAM is more then plenty to run a Linux distribution, even one that is using gnome, provided you arn't doing anything heavy with the OS. Also I found your post interesting, because most people I have talked to, have reported that OS 16 is snappier then older versions.

2 Likes

I only have 15.3 Core to compare to. As mentinoed, maybe it's a Pro (Ultimte) vs Core thing.

You could try the core of Z16 and see if there's a different.

Actually, Z16 Pro is now running just fine. The issue is PEBKAC.

1 Like

I hate problems caused between keyboard and chair. The last time that happened to me, is a caster wheel broke off, and my chair and I decided to take a dirt nap. Well, lets just say the cat wasn't happy afterwords, and darted out the room. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Would be good for an admin to delete this thread since the problem was all self inflicted and nothing to do with OS 16.

1 Like

Are you sure you want it deleted? It might teach other people a lesson.

2 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking Storm! Agreed 100% :+1:

1 Like

I marked the solution for ya so others can find it. :smiley:

1 Like

yeah, I learned meaning of PEBKAC :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Another is PICNIC.
Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.

2 Likes

So what happened is I pinned a lot of apps to the Favorites bar, so many apps that I didn't notice that some were hidden behind the system tray. Anyway, one of those apps was uhhhh, a very busy torrenting app...

2 Likes