New hard drive for old laptop - booting issue

It boots up directly from the HD - no boot screen offered - available - legacy/uefi boot is the booting choice - has always been, but could call up grub or refind in the past - now nada - any ideas? It is booting though straight into Zorin 17 log in screen, but would like to fix it. Thanks ahead of time - lol

Are you dual booting with another OS or Distro?
Is your question that you want the Grub Menu to show always?

You can

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

and change the style from =hidden to =menu
and ensure that the timeout is set to 10 (minimum 5.
Once any changes are made, tap ctl+o to overwrite, then enter to save current configuration. Tap ctl+x to exit the editor.
Now, you must run

sudo update-grub

1 Like

Thank you - from there it all worked and I could add to it. will be repeating this for the newer but weaker - sigh - old Del - was supposed to be better - a bad sale to me - but still it's next as well. New SSDs all around to optimize the speed they can attain. Both ae still faster than an i3 - tg. Again thank you.

1 Like

Oh yes - also this old Del 7720 16gb, 2+2T ssd now boots in just a few seconds - that silly 4 core processor is now as quick as the i5 Beelink Pro running Zorin 16.3.
Very Satisfied.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.