New to Zorin OS and not impressed

OK, got it to work/installed! But that CPU Power Manager will not work on an AMD, only with Intel CPU!

Any idea how I could get the Turbo Boost on AMD CPU to run?

Thanks for any info.

Play both videos at the same time on the forum and let me know if zorin boots fastests

After boot...And it isn't slow to boot on my machine. I am running a Ryzen 7 w/ 32 GB DDR4 and samsung 970 NVMe drives though....like I said...that's the limitation of that hardware...not the os. Barely 30secs for me. Get new or upgrade....not much else you can do.

2 Likes

After boot zorin is not slow no, but during boot it is at least for me. I have a i7-7700hq and 32gb of ram. So no i dont think its the hardware. Pop os is ubuntu based and boots much faster here.

Forgive me...got you and your hardware mixed up with quaxth...my mistake. On his hardware he shouldn't be expecting our boot times.

2 Likes

It is both.

Hardware will be a huge determining factor in boot time. But yes, different O.S.'s do try to optimize boot time. In Zorin OS you can optimize by disabling the unnecessary network wait service

sudo systemctl disable NetworkManager-wait-online.service

3 Likes

Is it really unnecessary? I thought that ran until your hardware drivers were loaded so that it didn't produce an error. I didn't look it up, so am going on logic, not what it actually is programmed for.

No, it is strictly used only by Ubuntu Server, therefor is enabled by default even in Ubuntu Desktop.

I'm still not impressed yet!

That said, I still waiting for the Zorin OS 16 Lite to be released. How long more that will take?
In the Lite version, will be Gnome be changed to a faster one?

I still run the Zorin OS 16 on that Acer AO722, besides the Windows 11 Pro, on a WD Black Scorpio 500GB 7200rpm HDD.

Zorin needs a half minute more for booting as Windows 11 Pro! And even the apps in Windows 11 Pro are faster than as in Zorin. Besides that, I've a problem for to get connected to my Samsung Xpress 480FW color laser printer and its scanner too! That Printer is connected directly to my wired network with fixed IP.

But I just like Zorin and would use it more, if it would be faster, special faster as Windows 10/11!

In order to help increase your load time you may want to try:

sudo systemctl disable NetworkManager-wait-online.service

This service may be unnecessarily holding up your boot.

2 Likes

Zorin Lite 16 will be XFCE rather than Gnome, I think. And it should be faster.

As an aside, I just got a new PC (my previous one was from 2009). I have dual boot Zorin OS 16 and Win10. Once I select one from the menu I get to a desktop in about 8 seconds (with Windows fastboot disabled).

1 Like

I just checked the boot time of the Windows 11 Pro and Zorion OS16

1. Windows 11 boots in 1m 40s till all Icons are on the screen;
  2. Zorin OS16 boots in 2m 21s until all Icons are on the screen!

That is a difference of 41s between these 2 OSes! Too much!

The working in Windows 11 is also faster than in Zorin OS16, special as it comes to the Internet!

Both OSes run on the same HDD, an WD Black Scorpio 500GB 7200 RPM, and both run on the same size of Partition on that HDD (150GB each).

OK, the Acer Aspire One 722 with its AMD C60 CPU isn't fast! Just as Zotin claims to be faster than Windows, that isn't a fact at all, it's just the opposite!

Again, I'll wait for the availability of Zorin OS16 Lite! That may well change the outcome, let see! Any info available on how long that would take?

Thanks for any answer!

In zorin there might be a service that takes alot of time (mostly a network service). You can run systemd-analyze and upload the results here. After that run systemd-analyze blame and post the results here too.

Or try a distro that has systemd boot ? Zorin uses the older grub for booting. I use Pop! OS 21.04 and its 20 seconds faster for me then zorin os 16 (installed it on the same ssd)

2 Likes

Yes, had addressed that a month ago:

2 Likes

Ah oke, didnt read all the posts in the thread. :sweat_smile:

There are a lot...

While critical feedback is helpful feedback, this particular thread seems a bit repetitive, to me.

Speeds can vary by manufacturer and hardware support. My own experience has consistently been that Zorin OS is much faster than Windows across several machines.
Sometimes, we must remember that a statistic of one is still only a statistic of one.

3 Likes

Thanks for those answers.

Still, no one answered the question about Zorin OS16 lite!

In the meantime I installed Zorin OS16 on another three machines with a similar outcome: Zorin OS16 is all times slower than Windows 11 Pro! On all three machines, the HDDs are not SSD's and Memory is about 8 or 16GB while all three are having quad-core CPUs, both Intel and AMD!

That said, I installed it on a total of 6 machines, Laptop/Netbook/Desktop Zorin OS16 besides Windows 11 Pro. All installations were in the same way, using the same HDD with its own Partitions for each OS with a size of 150GB per OS. The reason for that is quite easy, I need to use for such testing the 'middle' of the same machines my customers use because I'm not in a position for telling my customers they have to change their hardware! Thailand is still a pure country, special in this Covid time! And, my customers are my income!

Old Hardware is what I've to service for to earn my living! No way around! I have to use what is available. I hope you guys understand what I like to tell. Thanks.

1 Like

The only conclusion I can reach based on your posts are:
Windows 11 Pro is very fast.

Have you compared Zorin OS 16 against Windows 10, 8 or 7?
Windows 11 Pro is very new and very exclusive as to what machines Microsoft will permit it to be installed on.

No one has answered as to when zorin OS 16 Lite will be released because no one knows. The ZorinGroup follows a policy of "Release When Ready".

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro certainly is in that position.

3 Likes

I absolutely can not relate, win11 has rendered my pc too slow, while I use windows 11. Win10 was lot faster and smoother for me. even the File explorer takes few second to open now

1 Like

beep beep... Я робот

moved thread from General help to Feedback area