New to Zorin

Hope it's okay to intro myself with a hello in this forum. I didn't see a specific category for new users.

I've used several distros in the past -- Mint for a time more than a decade ago, Manjaro for a year also more than a decade ago. Pop!_OS for a year about 4 years ago. Each time I left Linux was due to a version upgrade that crashed and I had to go back to Windows. Trying again now -- though going forward I would likely just do a fresh install of any version upgrades after it's been out a few months. :slight_smile:

I'm pretty Windows-weary at the moment. We use all MS stuff at work and it's just so corporate -- I'm absolutely sick of it, so I would like to get away from it at home. That, plus all the recent news has me concerned. Anyway, hello for now!

7 Likes

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I haven't used any Linux distribution for long enough to tell how much has situation changed about updates (I installed a linux distro for the first time in May 2023), but I'm pretty sure it should be more stable than it once was

From my experience, upgrading LMDE (Linux mint debian edition) from version 5 to 6 went fine with no issues and, from my understanding, the Zorin upgrader is stable enough to upgrade version 16 to 17 fine aswell on the Core edition (though, I haven't tested this myself because I did a reinstall before the upgrade was available, so if anyone could correct me if I'm wrong that would be nice)

Either ways, we hope you enjoy this distro as much as we do and have a nice time in the forum!

3 Likes

Windows/Mac can obviously have their own upgrade issues. A bad Windows update took me ~24 hours to restore once (which was ultimately my fault since I didn't have a proper backup). All the downloading of updates and rebooting.

I ran Zorin for several weeks in a VM before direct install and it literally took about 1-2 hours (after installation) to configure it again. Granted, app configuration and file restore takes a little time.

One thing that surprised me was how well Zorin scales up for a TV screen -- better than Windows 11 -- in like 3 clicks for the scaling and the font adjustments. Except for grub. Ha.

3 Likes

For me it was the opposite, I tried to update from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and couldn't do it because the hardware was "obsolete". That machine had Linux installed within the hour, and has been running Linux exclusively ever since :smiley:

Personally, I've never upgraded the OS on any of my machines. Not intentionally, it just how things have played out for me. But I think this is actually a good habit to get into as it forces you to clean up and maintain a bit of digital hygiene on your computer – remove unused software, delete junk files... nothing like a good fresh start.

Welcome to the forums!

4 Likes

I don't like to be forced to do anything by others. Of course, even if it is an upgrade. That's a big reason why I use Zorin OS.

But the infamous Windows upgrade is not solely due to the arrogance of the big company. People who cannot control themselves want to be controlled by others.

3 Likes

I went ahead and bit the bullet -- moved Zorin from my old secondary SSD to my Windows NVMe (now partitioned) drive. Zorin install went without a hitch and it flies. So far it does several things better / more easily than my previous Linux distros -- easy-connecting to my NAS being one, which is nice. Not that they were bad at the time.

I took at look at the Pro desktops (screenshots) and the Windows copy actually looks better than the Windows version. heheh If I end up using this for a while I may upgrade to that.

1 Like

Welcome to Zorin OS, IMO the best Linux distro for beginners and beyond.

The last time I used Windows, was back in the Windows 7 days. Now Win7 admittedly, was an awesome OS, following the last awesome one, Windows XP. That was back when an OS was made for you from Microsoft. The core structure and business model of the company changed, when they released Windows10, and 11 is worse even still.

Infact, its gotten so bad, that the US government as well as the ISS in orbit, don't trust Microsoft anymore, and intentionally do not use Windows, and they use Linux instead. I'm still waiting for the corporate world to wake the heck up, and switch to Linux as well. So I am totally with you in your distaste, for your companies obsession with sticking with Windows, just cause thats how everything has been setup.

I left Windows when the support for Windows 7 was expiring. I had already learned about the privacy issues with Windows 10, and I just wasn't have any part of it! I switched to Linux back when Zorin OS was in version 9.0. I loved Zorin OS 9, minus the infamous boot loader getting maxed out causing a serious system crash. This was however permanently fixed when Zorin OS came out with version 12.

I tried Makulu Lindows for awhile, I liked it minus the memory leak issue. Then I tried Ferren OS, I also liked it, minus the memory leak issue it had as well. Oddly enough, neither developer of either OS found out where the memory leak was, and it was far too complicated for a non-programmer such as myself, to figure it out. Now days with ChatGPT, it can be used to find bug in the code far quicker then one could manually.

But ChatGPT wasn't a thing several years ago, so there was no AI assistance for programmers. And neither developer was seemed to be interested in sorting it out proper. I then tried POP OS, and I absolutely loved it, except for a few key issues, thankfully not memory leak related though, so POP OS does get my approval.

After I was fed up with a hardware specific issue that I was having with POP OS, and considering I had no way to get into contact with System76 about it, because they shutdown their forum and went to a non user-friendly garbage chat messenger, I decided to return to Zorin OS. This was when Zorin OS 16 was released, and I have ben on it ever since.

I thought about upgrading to Zorin OS 17, but there have been some issues with Wayland that I didn't find appealing. I decided, that since OS 16 users still get security support up to 2025, there is no harm sticking with OS 16, cause it runs so good. So I changed my plans to upgrade to OS 18, when it eventually gets released.

I have extensive experience with the old MAC computers, basically the 1980's MAC computers like the famous Classic AIO, all the way up to the 1990's to 2000's PowerPC G5 towers. So yes, this means I've experienced a whole host of machines they made, some good some bad, including their candy colored AIO machines they were famous for back in 1999 through 2001.

And the only reason I got to have all that extensive experience with MAC's, was due to the fact my school used them, same story as any school who had the funding back in the day. My earliest computer memories, were Commodore 64, Apple II, and IBM 286. IMHO, the 90's is when computers were actually starting to get useful, and not just some toy to play with, an actual tool to use, for whatever its used for.

Having said that however, the computers of the 90's suffered lots of computer crashes, due to not having enough memory. Operating systems back then were bad at memory allocation and clearing memory when no longer needed. We also had to run Norton Disk Doctor scans on them old mechanical drives, they were always getting gunked up all the time with file fragmentation.

As the internet grew post 1995, then we began facing computer malware and virus's, then we were having to run scans for virus's too. It really wasn't until the 2000's, when computers became much more robust, and have a lot more memory, till we stopped seeing computer crashes. Plus it helped that awesome OS's like Windows XP, did a much better job with memory allocation.

I dabbled in the mid 90's and 2000's of building my own desktop machines, since I am a gamer, that is a fun thing to do. Having said that, post 2010, component costs to build gaming machines just went through the roof expensive, primarily discreet Nvidia GPU's. So I bought an Acer mid-range gaming laptop back in 2012, and I rocked that same computer for 10-years! But as one would expect, it was long outdated, and couldn't play any modern games.

During the pandemic and supply shortage, I managed to make use out of some stimulus assistance, to finally buy a new computer. Now days, I am running the best computer I have ever bought, an MSI Raider GE-76 laptop. Click the link bellow to read my post on it, and to salivate over some delicious pictures I posted. I really love my Intel 10th generation machine, its like the Ferrari of laptop computers lol.

Again, welcome to Zorin OS 17, I truly hope that you continue to love Zorin OS as much as I do, and I truly hope that you have a wonderful day!

4 Likes

Sounds like you have a lot more experience than I do. I started off tinkering with my Dad's Apple 2/+/e in HS years ago. He bought me a 2e for school while he got a Mac. In the 90's I defected to IBM/MS as they were so much cheaper and there were frequent computer shows. Only had the Mac Mini for a time since then.

But yeah, my company is big on MS -- Outlook, OneDrive, Teams, Sharepoint, Edge, OneNote, Office -- soon moving to Win 11 (and I'm sure eventually Recall). As popular and reliable as some of those apps might be, I have MS fatigue from using it all day on the job. Can't stand to look at it on my home screen now.

5 Likes

I'll try not to morph my "hello" thread into some kind of ongoing update thread (and no worries, I don't have enough to write about, ha). BUT ... I just did the same thing with an old HP Laptop that I previously did with my main PC -- split the drive between Windows 11 and Zorin. The only hitch I ran into on the laptop was that the wireless kept cutting out so I couldn't download software. I was afraid it might be a driver issue, but I found the solution on the forum to set the power setting to 2 and that seems to have worked so far.

Also installed the TOR browser and it seems noticeably quicker than it did on Win 11 -- actually usable. But maybe I just hit bad congestion before.

About the only thing that's been a small frustration is setting up apps where I like them on the Gnome desktop, but not a huge deal once it's done. It's just a little touchy. Everything else has been click-to-select simple. So by the time I tried Zorin in VM, then installed it on a secondary SSD, then alongside Windows on NVMe, and now on the laptop, I've set it up a total of 4 times without any real issues other than the laptop wireless. Hopefully this encourages new visitors to give it a try.

2 Likes