New user to Zorin

Hello everyone,
my name is peter and until 2 days ago I was a frustrated windows user. I have known about Linux and the various distros available but was often put off by some of the complex computer skills needed to download set up etc.

like So many people like myself who searched to see what was the best distro for beginners Zorin was included in the search results.

I went to your website and thought this is a beautiful looking site, clear, wonderfully laid out, and well just beautiful.

The process for me to downloading the os to even being told how to flash the distro after getting the software was a complete breath of fresh air.

The whole process from start to finish was trouble-free and really was a joy.

To date, I have been finding my way around the os and getting used to how it works installing, deleting, and using software to just web surfing and I can honestly say I wish I had taken the leap let alone have the confidence to download setup and install this os months ago.

What you have produced here is a error and trouble-free os and deserves anyone's £39 which yes after a little more time spent using will be my next stage .

You all deserve a massive round of applause and may please wish you all at Zorin a very happy Christmas and new year.

Peter (England)

6 Likes

welcome, don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any.

1 Like

My noob recommendations:

*Install Tweaks and Extension Manager
*Install nautilus-admin so you have a right click option to open files and folders as admin (root)

sudo apt install nautilus-admin

*Install Clipboard Indicator extension
*Install Shell Restarter extension to quickly fix most UI glitches
*Turn on Workspace Indicator extension to quickly scroll thru workspaces
*Install Pinta for light photo editing
*Install Timeshift

Staying with Chrome?

*Install the Linux Scroll Speed Fix extension
*Turn off auto login or Chrome will ask you to login after a start/restart

Have a multi button mouse?

*Install Input Remapper. d/l the deb file and double click it.

Protips:

The quickest way to find/do anything is to hit the Super (Windows) key and type the first two letters. You can move the Super key to the right Windows key in Tweaks or make R Ctrl do R Windows if you don't have one. Or use Input Remapper to make any key do anything you want.

If you are using an older computer, I highly recommend cleaning the memory and slots with 91% alcohol. I found this necessary to avoid memory glitches on two desktops.

Peter, I have picked up a book "Linux for the rest of us" by John Been from Amazon. You Are about 1/3 of the way through the book, just to the point of This is getting interesting. He asks the question, what do you want to do with Linux? and offers suggestions on distributions, desktops depending on where your interests may be. He is quite the advocate for Zorin, and uses release 16 as his example. A lot of the beginning of the book is a brief history and confirmation that Linux is not hard but has a learning curve and that you can do it.
Regards, Dave (USA)

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for the information. I will truly have a look.

Peter

Many thanks for your suggestion I will need to have a little tuition when it comes to entering commands in the terminal but will attempt to overcome this fear. Soon!!

Regards

Peter

Many thanks i appreciate all your help.

Peter

Peter, I suggest that you put it into perspective. The worse that can happen is you lock up your Zorin install, If you still have your install media, it will take maybe 10 minutes to reinstall and you ready to pick up where you left off. If you never make a mistake you really don't learn, it is true that you learn from your mistakes.

Once you have what you need in terms of the OS and Applications:

1. Install Timeshift to take snapshots of your system:

and most importantly, backup your entire system to an external hard drive using:

1. Rescuezilla:

This is very true Dave,

We do learn from our mistakes, in all areas of our lives,

And one of my biggest mistakes was over the years pass over a considerable sum of cash to a particular operating system which would on regular occasions give me nothing but hassle Let's say I'd go to shake hands with the blue screen of death on many occasion which is why I wanted to look into a totally different OS.

All the reviews and research were quite overwhelming there are so many Linux options out there.

I seem to be settling into life as a fully converted Linux user and it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

Zorin and the help from people like yourself is truly a blessing especially for us newbies in town.

Once again I thank you for your invaluable help and tips.

As always it's very much appreciated.

Peter

Ps Bootdrive with Zorin is locked away in the family safe. Just incase you know. :wink:

Peter, thanks for the reply. I am also a Linux newbie I have experimented with a number of distros over the years, but was never able to find the information that I needed to get into the mindset of really learning more than install, setup and use as a user. As a Windows domain admin, I needed to keep up with the MS world as well. I am nearing retirement, 69 years old and have dropped down to a help desk position in the Gov sector, and when I do I want to have a friendlier, less intrusive OS in my personal life.
Have a great New Year,
Dave

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.