"No signal" after turning off my monitor (and turning it back on again)

Hello everyone,

I've currently a problem with my screen/monitor. Everytime where I shut down my monitor and turning it back on again, my monitor gives me the "No signal"-screen and I can't wake up the system again (note: The system wasn't in sleep mode or something similar; it was normally active and it happens if I just turn off my monitor). So I'm every time forced to shut down my PC completely to get a screen again... This doesn't happen if I use Windows.
Can someone give me please some tips how to resolve this?
Thanks in advance!

With kind regards
TheBlackEye

PS: This might be helpful:

System: Zorin OS Core 15.3 as a dual boot system together with Win 10.
No system in a virtual machine here.

Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070]
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.8 )
           drivers: nvidia (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 2560x1440@120.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2
           version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 465.27

(If you need more from the inx -F output please tell me.)

As a Fast Test, would you be able to change your resolution in your display settings to 1920x1080 and reboot, then test if the same occurs?

Hi, sorry for my late answer.

I can say that it doesn't occur if the resolution is 1920x1080 (but for me not useable because it's weirdly zoomed in with missing stuff around the edges). But everything higher leads to this (the maximum is 4k).

Ah, but it helps narrow down where the problem is. :wink:

1 Like

It sounds like a NVIDIA driver issue.
I am using the same NVidia driver with 2560x1440 monitor without any problem.

How about removing and reinstalling NVidia drivers?

Ok. I tried this, but I didn't changed something. Also, I must correct one thing: I looks like that I get the "No Signal"-screen only, if the monitor has completely shut down after a few minutes (it's before that in some kind of... hybrid standby/sleep mode until it completely shuts down). If I turn on my monitor before it completely shuts down, I get my screen back. So it might be that this error happens on any possible resolution. (And I thought mistakenly that it just occurs at a specific resolution.)

1 Like

Good point. Have you explored your monitors systems per the manufacturer? Monitor settings can be tricky to pull up and navigate...

Well... I must say it's not "just" a monitor, it's a LG OLED TV which has a own little system where I can use the remote to go through the settings. Sadly, I didn't found something which might occur this error. There's a energy management setting yeah, but it controls just the brightness level and nothing more. Same goes to the connection settings. No setting which might occur this error.

What is in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d?

I think I don't have so a file... At least I can't find it through the search.

1 Like

Hmmm...
LG TV used as monitor + Nvidia on Linux...
What about SMART > settings > time > sleep timer?

Just for the verification.
Is it connected directory via HDMI?
Or are you using any convertor and/or splitter between the computer and the TV.

Hmm... I hope it's correct that "SMART" is the partition configurator. And if I look there, the setting to go standby after some time is deactivated. The LG TV itself turns off after 4 hours if I don't do sth with it completely.

Yes. It's directly plugged in with a HDMI cable.

Not a solution, but at least you are not the only one having a problem with LG TV.

I am not sure... It looked like a Home Icon on my LG remote- But I no longer have that TV. It spied on me and then exploded and I needed to ship it to the Moon.

Actually, the backlight went out.

Hmmm... The weird thing is that my TV isn't even that old. It's to be exact the model LG48CX9LB. But yeah... still really weird.

@Aravisian
I'm happy that my TV hasn't a internet connection. Plus I uninstalled every app which I could. So it's not really able to spy on me. I have also a home button on my remote. But this shows me the home menu where I can open apps which are installed on the system.

I think I need a break.
I misread OLE as OLD :sweat_smile:
Time for another double espresso :coffee:

1 Like

Welp... looks like I gonna have to live with that for now (or try a other distro maybe). But still, thanks so far for the help.

1 Like

This might help to nail down the issue.
Better yet, if you have any other non-Linux OS, you could also try and see whether it is a Linux only problem or not.

[edit]
Actually if you try other distro, it might help to use the one with different desktop (Mate, Cinnamon, XFCE, etc). Such problems could be desktop specific.

[edit of edit]
I also thought of testing Zorin 16. It fixed some graphics issues in Zorin 15,3 in some cases.