Not able to install Zorin 16 pro

Hello, this is the first time I've ever been on a forum. So please forgive me if I botch it up. I purchased zorin 16 pro a few weeks ago and I've been fighting with the installation for about a week now. I got it to replace my zorin 12 pro which installed very smoothly on the same computer. Loosely, my specs are AMD FX8350, 16GB RAM, AMD HD7850 graphics, ASUS M5A78l-M/USB motherboard. Upgrading hardware is financially a dream away. I keep getting various messages such as no ums, unsupported graphics as well as a few others related to the graphics card. My question boils down to, "is there a way to install the graphics driver on to the flash drive or some other location for installation purposes?

Just for the fun of it, would you be willing to test the live CD of Zorin OS Lite 16.1 and tell us how that one works?

1 Like

Sure. I'll give it a go.

I spaced to ask. All I can find on the website is downloads. Can you use Belana to burn a DVD or should I hunt one down through a third party vendor?

You should be able to use rufus or unetbootin on windows to create a live usb.

Windows should be able to handle creating a bootable dvd, though a third party app may be more configurable.

How are you communicating with the forum? What do you have on your PC currently OS wise? If you have Linux installed, install K3b - it's a DVD burner, not for USB. If you have access to a Windows machine, install imgBurn from https://ninite.com - its under utilities - wouldn't use any other image burning software on Windows.

I totally agree .... it does everything including make ISO files ....

1 Like

Currently I'm my phone. I'm at work at the moment, I work swings. As for my computer, it's a quad OS system. XP, 7, 10 and Zorin 12. Long story ashort to why sof many. I appreciate all of you guys helping me with this. It's been a frustrating road. I'll definitely give your suggestions a go as soon as I get home and let you all know how it's going.

If you are booting MBR (Legacy), this only allows up to Four Bootable Partitions.

I'm using boot select. 2 drives 2 partitioned OS's each. With a total of 8 drives via a sata non-raid card. It's a home server/work horse. I've never heard of mbr before. I'll have to look into that more. I'm quite intrigued.

1 Like

MBR is Master Boot Record.

Ok, cool. I'll have to look into it. If it's something that will make life a little easier it's definitely worth a shot. Thank you.

Looking into it, I am sure it will answer your questions...
MBR is how Operating systems have been booting until EFI / GPT was developed. In researching the net on this, you will find a lot of opinions.
So, I will color my own.
There are pros and there are cons. Which is a fact of life.

Since you mentioned 4 Operating Systems, including XP, I considered it possible that your trouble stemmed from them being Legacy Install, booting off of MBR. This is because MBR can only handle 4 bootable partitions.
This can be a "con" for many.
MBR is older, but older can often be the selling point. And EFI is newer and the same statement applies. But in this case, EFI with GPT can manage about 128 bootable partitions. Who needs that much, right?
EFI is Extensible Firmware Interface - You will also find UEFI Unified Extensible Firmware Interface just to make sure that the topic stays nicely complicated.
GPT is GUID Partition Table

You may read some comments on the interwebs that state that EFI GPT is technically able to have unlimited bootable partitions. You know, from that one statement alone, to avoid the rest of the article. A disk has finite space. Unlimited is impossible. Manipu-words are best avoided.

On your Zorin 12 install, you can run gparted and check if you have an EFI partition pretty readily, knowing right away if you are using EFI.

The Development of EFI / GPT was influenced by Microsoft and Computer manufacturers wanting to add multiple bootable partitions with their own System Recovery Options. Many manufacturers needed two partitions alone, Microsoft needed two... You can see the problem, there. For a time, many users were left only able to install One O.S. on the machine they bought and owned.
Instead of MS and Manufacturers backing off on their entitlement issues, they sought a way of getting what everyone wants.

1 Like

What you said makes quite a bit of sense. I'll have to do some exploring. Thank you for the insight.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.