Not all Icons being themed?

I've downloaded and organized one of the "Shade of Z" icon sets, but it appears that not all the elements are being skinned..

For example, you can see that Bitwarden and Photopea are both not being skinned.. I checked the folder and the Bitwarden icon is included, but not getting "pulled" - how would I apply something manually in this regard? If I make my own svg for Photopea I assume I can add it to the folder and assign it the same way once I learn how..

What about the activity viewer and the Zorin Launcher.. the battery font, clock, etc.. I hypothesized that I needed to download Desktop files like this one for the same icon set, but then I couldn't figure out where to put the extracted folder

Edit: I did find this thread on how to manually change the launcher, but since it looks(from the screenshots in the thread above) like the full Shade of Z theme has a white launcher, I figured there might be a way that doesn't require me to manually swap it out each time

You need to make sure that the file is named correctly otherwise it will pull from whatever the Inherits from icon theme is listed in the configuration of the theme you are using. You can also alter this pull to a different theme in the configuration file.

The icons also need to be placed into the correct folder or folders. If the icon is only sitting in 32 and not 16 or 22 it may not pull it.

I don't have much knowledge of making themes or icons on here as others do. I used to make my own splash and boot themes on KDE, so that is what I know. Usually I just copy and paste the icons I want into a theme and make it the way I want using various icon themes. @Aravisian has a bit more knowledge than I on themes.

2 Likes

I have seen on apps that are in flatpaks such as brave do not import themes becasue they are sandboxed from the rest of the system. You cna use Flatseal to enable access - but whether you enable a custom icon through menu editor, or flatseal it would be app by app, the only benefit from flatseal is the icon changes when the app is running in the tray as well./

Fallback enabled

2 Likes

I don't use flatpak's or Snaps so I don't run into this problem, but like others pointed out, they are sand boxed and will require extra effort if can even be changed.

As for your Bitwarden (which I use as well) it's an appimage. I don't understand the point nor purpose of the desktop app. IMO it's a waste of time to even bother downloading as it's nothing more than appimage anyhow. You click on it and it opens a browser, same as you could have easily done on your own. Besides the purpose of the password manager is to be in the browser, just use the browser ext...... done. But I digress...

Since I didn't install this, look to see if it installed into the menu, if so try going into the menu and selecting a new icon for it. If that doesn't work you will have to figure out where the appimage is pulling the image from and change it there.

As maker of this theme, not all icons of all apps are included. From time to time the apps maker changes the name of their icons, which makes it's tedious to maintain. Photopea is not part of the skin theme.
Snaps icons have too be changed manually.

4 Likes

Flatpak and Snap are excluded from this. As others have noted.

There are two types of icons:
Regular
Symbolic

Application side:

Most often, applications call on the Regular Icon for use on the desktop and the Symbolic icon for use in the tray on the panel (taskbar).
Some developers take a shortcut and only call on symbolic icons across the panel.
Some developers do not want users changing their icon. They see the icon as the Brand Image identification of their product. In this case, their app does not call on the icon from the icon theme, but instead from the path of the icon they include with the app directories.
The easiest and most direct way to check which is the case is to read that specific applications .desktop file in /usr/share/applications
You can also check the specific regular and symbolic icon calling in its .js (javascript) file. It sounds hard and scary - but is really very easy.
Use ctrl+f to find (search) for icon in the .js.

There are some rules of thumb though that can help you quickly tell at a glance if an app controls its own icon. If it is place in /opt - it likely controls some or all of its icons. If it installs to a directory in your home folder - it likely controls all of its icons. If it installs with a directory located in /usr/share then it likely calls on the system icon theme.

And the above also tells you where to look to find the location of an application controlled icon.

Icon Theme side

If the App gives every indication that it calls on the icon theme and the icon still doesn't look right; Check the icon name. Using file search in /usr/share/icons/hicolor or /usr/share/icons may help locate that icon - check if other icon themes bear the same name, too. If comparing the names shows it works on one theme but not yours and the other theme shows a different name, use that name.
If no luck there, check usr/share/pixmaps

If you go through all of the above; ask here on the forum.
I can try to find it.
Some apps are appimages. Some are simple binary files and some are Chromium based browsers- these all can wrap their icon into a file where you cannot access it or change it.

4 Likes

Okay, but downloading the app wouldn't help you in a keylogger situation here, in fact it may make it worse. And it's an appimage, you're really not downloading an app at all, it's a script that opens the "app" in a browser. What you are seeing is nothing more than a browser.

Your worries were unfounded

It may be best to think about how you got the keylogger virus on your system in the first place and mitigate those behaviors rather than being paranoid as you say and taking things to an extreme. In particular where it seems you may not understand yet being new to Linux what it is you're actually "installing". Linux isn't Windows, and it's not as easy to get malicious things to install unless the user specifically tells it to install.

I've only had 1 windows virus in my entire life, zero on Linux and this is even after getting most of my music collection through Napster, Limewire and Bear share. :rofl:

I mitigate things first by using Linux, I don't use Google Chrome or the newest MS Edge. I use Firefox, have for decades now and it works just fine. I don't add extensions for the sake of adding extensions because I read some article someplace it did this or that. If I do put an extensions on I get the link from the company for the extensions not randomly searching the store. There's no need for most of the extensions anyhow. They're dodgy and and they're just downright nonsense. I have 4 extensions on FF (Bitwarden, FB Container, PureVPN, and DDG) that's it.

I certainly don't go around installing this and that under the guise of "privacy" or being more "secure". This right here is where and why people get themselves into trouble. Constantly installing things they have no idea where they came from or what they do, but they read something on the internet on some goofy website that said it was great.

If you keep things simple, don't go overboard installing things, don't follow the latest and greatest of whatever, and never give someone access to your system you'll be fine.

2 Likes

Ah, the halcyon days of youth...

I followed a link the other day that had a flashing banner notifying me that my Windows 10 Computer was infected.
I could barely contain my panic... My Zorin OS Windows 10 caught a cold. :pleading_face:

3 Likes

2 days to download one song....... Don't touch the phone, I'm downloading something... :rofl: :rofl:

Maybe you installed a toolbar.... LOL

1 Like

I was trying to download more RAM.

2 Likes

You did that all on your own.

Yes I was trying to help you understand since you didn't seem to understand what an appimage was nor how to do icons.

And that is not something available only on the desktop app, the extension has the exact same options. Unless someone else has access to your system, locking it every time doesn't make your system more secure though.

I use Linux not Windows mainly and haven't bothered to install the desktop app on my Windows box because it serves no purpose there either. Perhaps someone in IT with a solid decade could answer that for you.

Bitwarden actually is, since you mentioned it above.

But since you seem to have things well under control now and I'm not being helpful in any manner, I'll leave you to it.

It is quite true that many computer users are unaware of basic steps that they can take to protect their software and investment. It is helpful to post reminders and measures users can take.
We all can fall into the trap of not checking a package carefully. Or paying much attention to whether it is an appimage or not.
I do notice, mostly due to me having a peculiar way of viewing applications in general.
I wasn't this way on Windows... But now, I am very finicky about my apps.

Tangents are fine and all but this one has deteriorated.
The forum is here to provide helpful answers and suggestions.

Icon use and placement are also non-trivial. For a person that makes Icon sets, as I do, it's pretty easy to have a grip. But if you have never needed to find and examine a specific icon, it is confusing and seems like icons are scattered all over the place.
And in spite of my boasted resume above - I get stumped and cannot seem to figure out where an icon is coming from sometimes.

2 Likes