Not asking for password after being awakened from suspend

When you get to the point of sudo apt remove --purge gnome-screensaver be sure to read the terminal output before confirming with the y key. Ensure that removing gnome screensaver will not take the Zorin Desktop with it.

1 Like

It shouldn't. I've got it uninstalled and everything's working fine.

2 Likes

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try later today when I get some time. :smiley:

OK I installed XFCE screensaver and uninstalled GNOME screensaver and everything went fine.

Now what seems to be happening is that the computer goes to standby after being idle but never goes to suspend (which I can live with). I unset all blanking/suspending/password settings except for the ones in the XFCE screensaver settings app. To test I set it to screensaver after 4 minutes, standby after 5 minutes and suspend after 6. It went to screensaver and then standby (screen blank, lighted keyboard still lighted, I just have to press a key or move the mouse to awaken), but never went to suspend.

If I suspend manually, it still doesn't ask for a password.

I can live with the way it is working, in fact I think I prefer the standby state, but I'm still curious about what is going on. It could be some incompatibility between Linux and my hardware I suppose.

Actually, if I go to settings >> power and set automatic suspend to true, as long as it is set for a longer idle time than what is set for standby in the XFCE screensaver app, then it asks for a password coming out of suspend. When I press the power button to wake the computer from suspend, it appears to come out of suspend back into standby at which point I have to hit a key or move the mouse to get the password dialog.

Thanks to you guys for helping out. :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.