Nvidia and Sound

I'm getting more and more curious why Nvidia driver updates often break my sound system. I get a "popping" as the output quickly changes from my desktop's default output to a second ouput (Nvidia card me thinks). I've tried blacklisting it and rebooting, sometimes works, often not. Only real solution I've found is to remove/reinstall Nvidia drivers and reboot. As an added bonus, this breaks my OpenCL in darktable (Flatpak), and that needs to be removed and reinstalled. Frustrating!

3 Likes

Are the nvidia drivers essential for you? I always had issues with nvidia drivers in earlier versions of Zorin which is why I only ever use the Nouveau drivers.

2 Likes

If you are sure that the problem is caused by NVIDIA, then you are on the wrong forum. Most of the Hard Ware related problems are solved by NVIDIA support using the bug report you provide for both Ubuntu and Windows OS.

You can connect using this forum:-

5 Likes

Yes, no openCL without it.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I'm not sure it's the cause, but it sure seems like it from the anecdotal evidence.

Sorry, forgot about that. Think you mentioned that in another thread.

No problem, openCL is a constant PIA.

What's weird about the Nvidia sound is that it occurs after system updates, not manual removal/install.

Just a quick update. I've been having sound quality problems with LollyPop and Rhythmbox for a while. I've been using a player called Sayonara for a week now, and the difference in quality is unbelievable. And I have no idea why. Worth a try if anyone is having ongoing issues.

For me it just has to be Audacious as it is not dependent onPulseAudio. (I am running Devuan 3.1.1 with ALSA instead of pulse audio.

After today's update, audio problems are back. Tried the Audacious player, with Alsa output, still getting the popping noise. In sound control panel the output device does a rapid change from Line-Out, built in audio to something else, too quick to see.

It's too bad, everything else works well, but since installing the Nvidia card, sound has been really flaky.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.