Nvidia card on zorin

Mine looks like what I posted above.

same thing... but nothing works

Because you also have the same error message in nvidia-smi, I merged your thread to this pre-existing one to concentrate volunteers effort to solve the issue.

I will ask for reinforcement troops.
@Aravisian @Storm @StarTreker @zabadabadoo @337harvey

Troops are arriving!!! I love this forum, i read this continuously

1 Like

Perhaps try the 460

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-460

Sergent Zaba here, but I am no use to you as I don't have Nvidia card/s or drivers.
Others will be on parade soon now FP has sounded "Reveille" :running_woman: :running_man: :running_woman: :running_man:

2 Likes

Yes, your GPU is too old and is no longer supported in the new drivers, but!

First, look at your screenshot please.

AT the lower half of the list, you will see Nvidia 340 PROPRIETARY, I need you to select that one, wait for the lengthy install to finish, then when its done, restart.

Report back and let us know how it went.

1 Like

After that, it didn't boot anymore. I reinstalled os, dear guru. For third time in 2 days...:rofl:

ok? i hope it works

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
nvidia-driver-460 : Depends: libnvidia-gl-460 (= 460.91.03-0ubuntu0.20.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libnvidia-extra-460 (= 460.91.03-0ubuntu0.20.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: nvidia-compute-utils-460 (= 460.91.03-0ubuntu0.20.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: nvidia-utils-460 (= 460.91.03-0ubuntu0.20.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-460 (= 460.91.03-0ubuntu0.20.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libnvidia-cfg1-460 (= 460.91.03-0ubuntu0.20.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libnvidia-ifr1-460 (= 460.91.03-0ubuntu0.20.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libnvidia-ifr1-460:i386 (= 460.91.03-0ubuntu0.20.04.1)
Recommends: libnvidia-gl-460:i386 (= 460.91.03-0ubuntu0.20.04.1)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

1 Like

I am so sorry to hear about this, I really fear your GPU is too old, that there is no support anymore in the kernel and or the current drivers. This might be a case of, kernel and driver must both match.

Hmm, I guess you could also try other distro's, some people are forced to do that. Maybe OS 15.3 LITE? Although, OS 16 LITE will soon be released hopefully in these next coming months, so maybe wait on that?

IDK, I am kind of at a lost at this point, sorry.

MXLinux uses 4.19 kernel (Old stable).
It is worth a try.

Be sure to select the top one in this page:
https://mxlinux.org/download-links/

1 Like

Please run

sudo apt remove --purge nvidia-driver-460

Well, the issue was resolved even before you answered the question. Since I had a timeshift backup, I took a leap of faith and installed nvidia-driver-460. Now it's working fine and nvidia-smi shows GPU usage.

Haha :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not needed. It won't startup and I re-re-re-re-reinstalled

It's the same thing that using zorin for everything and ubuntu for gaming.
I think i'll keep this.
Thanks really you guys for the help

if i downgrade the kernel? :sunglasses:

I think the difference between you and @capriciousduck is the vintage of the graphics cards.
@capriciousduck has GeForce 840M which is still supported by NVidia.
You have GeForce 310M which is no longer supported.

That is why I suggested you to try other Debian based distribution which still uses old stable 4,19 kernel.

You have to find our how far you can downgrade.
I do not think it is possible to downgrade to 4 series kernels if you want to use Zorin.