Only option is wi-fi for internet connection?/if so, hide network?

I can check the router info but really it's only for the speed issue, not for security issues as much. I have a VPN and will probably keep it just for my phone if nothing else. My bldg.'s speed isn't the best since we have only two internet providers to choose from; Spectrum, who I quit because they were messing with the connections too much and emails, so I went with At&t which is through the phone line. So I'll just keep the wifi I guess.
I'm finding it hard to look up things like when it says software you download will go to it's appropriate place. So that can start a 2 hour search to find out what that means. I know I'm a novice but ........I think I'll have to delve into the archives. I hate to have to keep coming into the support pages for every little thing. I wish there was some type of a simple manual about Zorin OS Pro 16.3 and how to navigate through it. Simple things.

It's for a previous version, but most of it should still pertain.

2 Likes

When you download something, default is for it to go to your home ~/Downloads folder.
There is no "download" on the Software Store. Anything done there is an Install.
Installs will generally go to root /usr/share directory, and placed within a folder that is the name of that software. Browsers that you install like to be different and go to /opt under the browser software name.
Some installs may be installed in the Home Folder equivalent of /usr/share: ~/.local/share under that software's name.

If you need or even want to come to the Zorin OS Forum for every little thing, you can do that. I sure did when I first moved to Zorin OS from Windows.
The worst that can happen is waiting on a reply...

@swarfendor437 created an unofficial Zorin OS 15 Manual.

You may find it still useful.

1 Like

Is what I was going off of - and in that case, I would just use Ethernet, yes. Bare in-mind that WiFi 5GHz is capable of 100Mbps+ :wink: Ethernet on Roku TV's, just recently found out, is only 90Mbps.... lame.

@Mr_Magoo beat me! haha +1 :+1:

I'm not sure I follow too well here - do you mean the Software Center?

1 Like

Great! I will use it for sure! Thanks!

I saw I was successfully signed in with both windows still installed alongside my Zorin using my ethernet so maybe I was confused. Probably was confused. I'm at the finish line with completely wiping windows out of my life and my impatience is showing.
Being a novice it will help when I get my language more in line with the Zorin/Linux language and call a partition a volume or a download an install when I search. Therein lies my problem when I try to search for solutions in the search bar.
Onward and upward!

1 Like

Oh don't worry - I still have Windows as well haha only for a few things like Techstream (Toyota garage software) that won't work with Linux.. I do have a scanning program that I can scan / clear codes with Linux though.

I would suggest getting comfy with the terminal - lots of things can be done much faster through terminal vs GUI. Try out some updates! Use: sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade to update / upgrade packages. Sometimes the updates replace the older ones, and sometimes you'll have some residual files left over - which you can run sudo apt autoremove to remove unused dependencies and packages. Do have to watch autoremove, it can remove things you don't want it to.. I would also suggest grabbing some small .deb packs and installing with dpkg in terminal, too: sudo dpkg -i package.deb. Also try out some terminal text editors like vim or nano - I prefer nano myself, pretty easy to use. Nano / vim are pretty important when modify some files - a text editor can break these files rendering them useless. Good example with that is my Raspberry Pi - if I edit the config.txt file with a text editor, mostly with Win, after I save the file, it breaks the formatting and junks up the whole file - making it useless.. Man pages! Man pages, or 'manual pages', holds information about a command. To see the switches and how to use, enter man [command] and will spit out all the information about the command being used, switches, format, syntax, all about it and how to use.

Above all - don't be afraid to ask! :sunglasses:

You asked for it.......I've downloaded everything of importance (file wise) I want onto a thumbdrive and I want to wipe windows out.

1. Do the files I have on my thumbdrive have to be in a particular format...I would expect not since they could easily be converted by a developer's software gotten from the software choices.
  2. When I installed Zorin it showed 2 partitions; windows was half and zorin was half, well windows took up slightly more space but most evenly divided. I've tried to find info in docs section about wiping out windows and leaving Zorin but my wording just doesn't bring anything up.
    I've seen info from 2021 but with newer versions out I wondered if anything has changed. The part I'm referring to is when they talk about setting up a partition for your personal files........So, do I just go through my update & security, recovery, etc. and uefi firmware settings (I forgot the name of the area this series of keystrokes gets you to) to get to the area where it says to uninstall windows? Is there anything else I need to do beforehand?
1 Like

Depends on the files - MS Office files will work as normal. Applications can also be installed with Wine, you'll need to enable the Windows Application support in the Software Center first, little setup.

As far as the partition format on the USB drive - you can choose what you want, FAT32 is okay but limited on file sizes larger than ~5GB. I have NTFS on my backup drive and another larger size USB drive - both are used in Windows and my Zorin install. If it's something you're only going to be using with Zorin, maybe transfer all your stuff and use ext4 - though won't be readable within Windows machines without software.

Yep! The installer is really good about sizing up the partitions :wink: I manually set my size in Windows drive manager, then installed. It's either or, really.

Not exactly - I'll post a guide on how to but, you'll need to make another bootable drive with GPartedLive - or - use the Zorin installer, it has Gparted as well. After you've backed everything up - boot into the live disk, open Gparted, delete the Windows partition, resize your Zorin partition to fill the empty void of what used to be Windows, then update your Grub - reboot; in a nutshell.. And you're in luck! This guide has all the steps - even using Zorin. If, for any reason, anything goes awry - if you have all your stuff backed up, you can simply just do a reinstall without fiddling with partitions, and choosing to use the full disk for Zorin. This could be good practice though, I most always take 'the hard way' when I can - keeps my "skills" up, heh..

And Wine - in the Software Center, you can install Windows app support:

There's a few apps I can't get working for various specific Windows reasons but, for the most part, you can install Windows applications in Zorin. I don't have any Win apps in my system now so, I could probably just do without it. But, if there's something you'd like to run in Linux you had with Windows and can't get a good alternative - try Wine! Something I found just now on Wine and Zorin16 - might be of help!

A couple of posts you might find helpful:

1 Like

I'm sorry for my delay in responding. I was trying to get some things done before taking the final windows wipe out step such as installing Window App Support or Wine on my old computer so I can access my files on my thumb drive but it's been a bad ride! I've read so many posts.
The software catalog does not show my installed apps. It shows a blank page. When I click the hamburger and go into "other software" it has checkmarks next to https:// packages that include stable, patches, apps, drivers and premium focal Main (source code). The one marked drivers says restricted. I don't know if this means anything. Just a stab in the dark.
This HP Pavilion 17 f230nr is running extremely slow although it's empty of any content.
Equally, on my newer computer the downloads for Wine I tried just stuck at 0% and never went anywhere. I'm dealing with that later.
So I'd like to get things working on my older computer so I have a backup for my newer one.
Any suggestions about the info not being there under "apps installed" in the catalog?
I am on this all day today.

Have you ran updates since? I.e., sudo apt update then sudo apt upgrade? After I installed I got blank pages in my Software Center - had to do some updates to get going.

Run some updates / upgrades through terminal. For any errors, pay attention to the last lines, it should tell you what to do to fix any issues - like sudo apt install -f for broken installed packages, and sudo apt update --fix-missing for missing apt sources.

Yes I did that.
I've been researching and I installed Synaptic Packages Manager to use that instead.
Then I went back thinking the Wine hadn't installed but it did install, my computer is just that slow it would seem. I haven't tried to use it yet.
Meanwhile I researched some more and ran system checks on the startup times and found this info when I asked it to analyze the critical chain.
(well I tried to include it but got an error message saying I could only include names of 10 people or something like that so I couldn't) The run user and multi user and graphical target were the most time.
So before I expect any more speed from my HP and try to open Wine, can you tell what I might do to speed the start up from 3-4 minutes (I also read up about how fast boot isn't in play now so I know it will take a longer time). Thanks!

What was the result of the apt update and upgrade? Were there any errors when you updated?

And it appears you're having two different issues on two different machines.. Is the Asus Vivobook S533 in your first post still affected?

Is another issue - I would create another thread with that machine and issues; just to keep things neat. I see this thread is marked as Solved.

Check this thread out for common issues related to Software Center - blank installed screen is one of the listed issues.

1 Like

I will start a new thread for the HP. Thanks!
I ran the sudo apt update and it said 4 were upgradable and it listed libcue2, vim-common, vim-tiny, and xxd. It lists the versions each is upgradable to. Should I upgrade then. That might have been my problem then.

1 Like

I decided to go ahead and upgrade. I'll let you know if it cleared things up.

1 Like

No worries - upgrades are mostly a good thing! My issues are mostly CUPS and SMB on a fresh install; update / upgrade - back in business.

I restarted my computer and went into the software catalog and we are in businees Sir Kibbles! Now I have Wine and Synaptic. I have everything! Thanks! I will rinse and repeat with my newer computer now because it was doing the same thing with the software catalog. SOLUTION AGAIN!

2 Likes

No worries! :sunglasses:

Glad to hear!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.