Zorin 16 Core with xfce

Has anyone tried and would be willing to share their stories with xfce? How did it go?

Oh yes... definitely tried. And succeeded. I prefer several desktops over Gnome, XFCE being one of them. You can find several threads on this forum where this comes up.
If you like you can install xfce4 with one command in terminal

sudo apt install xfce4

If you want the latest xfce4 4.16, you will need to add the repo for it:

sudo add-apt-repository Index of /xubuntu-dev/staging/ubuntu

Then install xfce

sudo apt install xfce4

You can even install the Zorin OS App Menu as a Zorin OS user:

sudo apt install xfce4-zorinmenulite-plugin

2 Likes

Awesome! Thank you for your post. I might give it a shot in the next few days and see how it goes. I know you can find forum posts of people who have tried xfce with previous versions of Zorin. But can you find people who have tried it with OS 16 Core?

Well... I have done it and am currently running it on Zorin OS 16 Core Beta. It's the first thing I did after installing Z16 Core Beta.

2 Likes

I tried to install xfce, between they asked me which login manager I want, I choosed lightdm / btw it is so ugly..lol

then wanted to install Zorin os App Menu, got this
E: Unable to locate package xfce4-zorinmenulite-plugin

You might try adding that repository that @Aravisian posted, then install the plugin.

that was first thing yeah. And After that I dont have xfce 4.16 , it is 4.14..hm

When you add a repository, what that does is changes where 'apt install' gets its stuff from.

ex.

apt install xfce4-zorinmenulite-plugin

You got:

E: Unable to locate package xfce4-zorinmenulite-plugin

Then you run this command (this might not be the actual command):

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xubuntu-dev/staging

Now if you run:

apt install xfce4-zorinmenulite-plugin

It works because its getting the plugin from a different location. In summary, your still on 4.14 because you 'apt install xfce4' BEFORE you added the repository. Now that you have the repository, you would have to reinstall xfce4. Actually.. now that you have the repository... you might just have to do an update and thats it.

apt-get update -y && apt-get upgrade -y
2 Likes

After adding the Repo, you must then run:

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

This should then install xfce 4.16 on the system. If xfce is not yet installed, running sudo apt install xfce4 should then install xfce 4.16.

The zorinmenulite plugin is found within the Zorin OS repository so it should show up just fine if you are using Zorin OS which comes with the Zorin OS repository already added in your sources.

We disagree. :smiley:
But if you prefer gdm3, you can switch back to it, no problem

sudo apt install gdm3

Then follow the configuration prompts in the same way you did for configuring lightdm.

2 Likes

@Aravisian Out of curiosity, do you have any xfce related errors in your log?

No. I am still using Zorin OS 16 BETA and I had installed xfce4 4.16 (I prefer 4.14... but needed to use 4.16 for testing) on it first thing after installing the Beta.
It has been running like a champ.

1 Like

In my case , ram usage on Zorin Gnome is almost the same as with xfce.

What about cinnamon , didn't tried that on Zorin , maybe it is lighter ?

Hi, what repository do I need to be able to install zorin-os-desktop-lite on xfce? Thank you!

In my experience, Cinnamon has been lighter than Gnome but heavier than XFCE.
Zorin with Gnome tends to run faster and lighter then Ubuntu with Gnome.

The repository is already included in Zorin OS. If you are running Zorin OS 16, then Lite has not yet been released and the package is not yet available.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zorin-os/packages

2 Likes

I really want to switch to xfce, but don't want to lose beautiful gnome setup and those layouts..

Why layouts doesn't work in xfce ? :wink:

XFCE uses a Window Manager. Gnome dropped support for full window managers in favor of csd, which dumps support and development for window managers onto... everyone else.
But you can set up any layout you want on XFCE. The Zorin Layouts you see can be chosen from an app. On XFCE, you would need to just position them manually.

Yes, I know , on linux you can do whatever you want, but more work. hehe
With layouts it is just one click.

Before Zorin I even used WM ( bspwm) and that was fun. Maybe best way how to learn linux. But it is pain in the backside xD

If you are willing, I can help you do all the painful work :smiley: in exploring the settings, configurations and options in your XFCE system.

1 Like

Great, thank you. When I switch to XFCE I will ask for your support.

Atm I am satisfied with Gnome. No issues at all and everything is smooth.

But maybe, I can start to play with bspwm :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Aravisian Hi again, just a double-check with you: Once I install the xfce4 desktop, I will still be able to switch back and forth between Gnome and xfce4, correct?