Overheating running Zorin on Dell Inspiron

I like the looks of Zorin and its features a lot, so I purchased and installed Zorin OS 16 Pro on my Dell Inspiron 7773 laptop. Unfortunately, whenever I boot into Zorin my fan goes nuts and my laptop soon gets feeling very warm, especially over the battery.

Interestingy, I do not have this problem with Linux Mint, Ubuntu or KDE Plasma (yes, I was distro hopping.) I'm guessing that something keeps getting hung up in Zorin and not shutting down like it should, but I have no idea what or why.

The problem was bad enough that I reverted back to LinuxMint for now, but I'd like to figure out and fix whatever the issue is so I can use Zorin. I'm going to re-install Zorin in a different partition (so I can dual-boot with both Windows and LinuxMint) and try again. I'd appreciate any suggestions of what might be causing the issue or where I should look to try and find it.

Welcome to Zorin OS 16! And I want to personally thank you for purchasing PRO and supporting the dev's, you are positively stellar! :star2:

First question I have, when your fans were spinning like crazy, did you check your running processes with the Stacer APP? Because you may have run into where possible the HIDPI Daemon reared its ugly head.

This has happened to me before, and killing the HIDPI Daemon fixed the problem, and I haven't seen it happen again since, but I have had it happened to me before in the past.

Also, you said your computer was overheating, I assume that was an assumption on your part, given the fact that your fans were spinning up bigtime. Next time, please take a screenshot of your Psensor readout. Yes I know, another APP to install, but trust me, both APPS are worth the megabytes on your storage to have them.

StarTreker

yoda
Your Tech Support Guru

Thanks for the fast response! I'm going to re-install Zorin later in a new partition and see what happens. If I run into the same issue again, at least I'll have something to check and I will install that Psensor app you mentioned so I can give more specific infomation if I still need help.

The computer overheating is subjective, but it is based on physical sensation. My laptop is usually always cool to the touch, but last night it was distinctly warm where I normally rest my hands and very warm to the touch over the battery compartment.

This last statement makes me concerned about the battery. Normally the area for which you rest your hands, contains the battery inside the computer, bellow your palms. If overheating is happening there, then its not from CPU/GPU, thats from the battery.

And that is a situation we absolutely do not want, we don't want the battery overheating. The battery could also be getting super hot, due to the fact the system is drawing too much off your hardware.

Getting Stacer resource screenshots and Psensor screenshots will go a long way in helping us begin to troubleshoot this situation. We need to find whatever is the cause and hopefully put a stop to it, so you can get back to having a good working system.

1 Like

Actually, on my Dell the battery is across the back, above the keyboard, and that's where it was getting almost hot to the touch before I shut it down.

I've been running Linux Mint all day without any issues at all; the laptop is still nice nd cool to the touch. (I'll attached a screenshot of Psensor.)

I just signed off from work, so now I am going to reboot and re-install Zorin to see what happens. I'll let you know how it turns out. :slight_smile:

For the record, 110F is like maybe 40C, thats not overheating. You are nowhere near the thermal shutoff which is like 100C to 109C. 212F to 220F

Please check if you have TLP installed, using the terminal.

sudo apt install tlp

I know that, StarTrekker. I wasn't worried about the temps in the picture; at those temps the top of my laptop is cool to the touch, not warm at all. My laptop yesterday was rapidly heading to be too warm to touch, hence my panic when it happened. :wink:

1 Like

Please check if you have TLP installed, using the terminal.

It wasn't, but it is now, and started. Thanks for the tip! :slight_smile:

I am starting to think that I accidentally interrupted something during the first installation, or something like that. I created a new partition on my hard drive and did a fresh install of Zorin - this time with absolutely no problems at all. The fan hasn't gone into hyperdrive once, and it's been a couple of hours of use, installing my favorite programs, and the laptop has remained consistently cool to the touch.

Here's the screenshot of Psensor from just a little while ago:

Thanks so much to everyone for the suggestions. I installed both Stacer and Psensor recommended by StarTrekker, along with TLP as recommended by Aravisian. I'm looking forward to playing with Zorin without worrying that I'm going to fry my laptop. lol

3 Likes

I'm so pleased that your new install has not only gone well, but that it's managed to run awesome too. Glad we could help you. It's a team effort. :relaxed:

3 Likes

I had the exact same problem on an HP ZBook 15 inch.

This was a brand new installation of Zorin OS, but it was being installed on a machine that had Linux Mint running on it.

I realized after the installation that there was no Linux Swap partition. Creating the swap partition and rebooting resolved the issue for me.

No more consistent fan.

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
That is a very interesting observation.
Most of the recent Linux distros create no swap partition but create a swap file, which supposed to the same job as the swap partition. I always have to create swap partition manually after the installation since VMWare complains if I do not have any.

If you are curious the swapfile locates under the root partition.

Hi....For me the my unit was turned out great while it was cool in the house (<70F). Since temperatures are hotter, I can't go more than 45-mins without it overheating. Now and then it overheats in just 15-mins. I'm on my third (YES third!) unit and it has a similar definite issue. I've attempted various things to work around the issue. Most importantly the unit is out in the open and gets full flow. I've even taken out the top plastic and metal covers and blew a work area fan straightforwardly on the until yet the issue actually continues. I've attempted Windows 7 and Ubuntu and have a similar issue with both. I even let the PC sit sits (rather than playing recordings) and I get a similar issue.

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

You might want to check the thermal compound between the CPU and the heat-sink.
I once was asked to check the stability issue by one client.
It was a store assembled desktop PC.
To my biggest surprise there was absolutely no thermal compound applied between the CPU and the heat sink.

It is generally recommended to reapply a fresh thermal compound every 5 years or so.

1 Like

I also had an overheating issue but it was on a Lenovo Yoga. It only seemed to happen when I was running VM's, as I like to run VirtualBox or VMWare with Windows on it. With the fan cranking and then the sudden shutdown I was sure I had a thermal issue. I picked up an app called "auto-cpufreq" and ran the "stats" to check on my core frequencies and temps and sure enough the laptop would go full-burn to 4.2Ghz and 99c until it shutdown. Installing the auto-cpufreq daemon allowed me to take control of the throttling. I've still got plenty of speed and no more shutdowns.
Hope this helps!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.