Partition Errors while installing Zorin OS

So, I was trying to install Zorin OS on my Desktop PC and for that I reduced 100GB for installing Main OS and all the files and 8GB extra for swap area as I have 8GB of RAM. I want Dual Boot setup on my PC with Windows 10 and Zorin OS 15.3 Lite, but as soon as I enter the screen to install Zorin OS Lite on PC, I see that the 100GB space which I left for Zorin OS is tagged as unusable and I'm unable to install Zorin OS in my PC. Kindly help me with this issue.
Thank you,
Have a nice day ahead.

How did you created this 100GB partition?
I think it should be in FAT 32, not NTFS.

Nope it's in NTFS Format only. I only shrinked my E Drive volume which is a Primary Volume besides the C Drive where I have my Windows.

I think it is better you boot in Live USB session and use Gparted to format the partition.

Ok I will do that, but will it format whole E drive of mine or just shrink the volume, I'm worried because I have lot of important stuff on E Drive.

I recommend you to use Rescuezilla to create a whole disk image backup before you make any big move.

1 Like

Ok, Thanks for telling. I will make a Backup.
Thank for saving my Data

1 Like

I suggest you take a look at this thread that discusses partition formatting etc.

Note it is usual to format ZorinOS partitions (e.g. swap, root, home) using ext4 filesystem.

1 Like

I have a question, I have USB Stick of 32GB and in my main HDD data is around 147 GB so, can my 32GB USB Stick can hold 147GB of data as a backup? Kindly guide me.
Thank you.

147GB into 32GB will not go. I dont think any compression method would achieve that.

1 Like

I checked my last Clonezilla (Resucuezilla is based on this) backup.
120 GB of OS drive shrunk to about 2/3, that is 90 GB image.
If you have approx 150 GB, you need at least 100GB.

If it is only data and no OS on this drive, you could also compress files manually but some multimedia files are already in compressed format (MP3, jpeg, etc.) which will not shrink after the compression.

This is SATA to USB connector I use for the image backup (each less than 10 Euro).

Connecting a 2,5 inch HDD which I removed from laptop for SSD upgrade, I can have an external HDD very cheap.

1 Like

Yes always create a backup I remember when i choose wrong choice and all my data files cannot back when you trying installing a linux.

Now should I confess my first dd command that wiped my entire data drive.... I was saved by the back up (lost only a few days worth of data).

1 Like

Yeah i learning safety files are on external hard disk if a system crash.

1 Like

You can adjust the size of E without data loss as long as the partition has been Defraged/trimmed and you do not force it below the size it currently has populated (30GB free of 150GB partition means 120GB used, so would not take it below 120 × 1024 [conversion to MB which most drive applications use] ). Perform this calculation and WRITE IT DOWN. This will ensure you do not go beyond that number. Remember that if you reduce to this size it will not allow any more data on the partition, may even remove the ability to access it (since ntfs is a journaling fs). Do it in the live image so it isn't mounted when you perform the change.

I did something like that, installing antix but don't care about the files so never think of backup. (Since my files are always in many different backups like drive, usb, hdd etc)

1 Like

Since that shocking experience, I always make a point to handle commands with at most care.

I double/triple check the validity of the command before I issue it, especially if that comes from individual's blog.

For me, running a command without checking is like double clicking the .exe files in Windows without validating its legitimacy.

2 Likes

Today I tried with tutorials installation and no success. After one hour my computer start be a freaky. Bios unstable. Trying catch boot menu with shift+alt+f1 and I discovered my computer is to fast to catch that keyboard. I have some information /cow cannot update-grub. I am dissapointed on myself.

I find a another button shift + Escape then I go to recovery Zorin with root priviliges and there I used a command sudo nano /etc/default/grub and sudo update-grub then reboot. Now I have menu boot linux. I only remember solutions @Aravisian he is like a walking encyklopedia Linux support. Of course everyone here are helpfull with knowledge to resolve problems.

2 Likes