Peripheral detection

I have recently bought a new laptop and I installed zorin-os-16 lite on it, but the integrated camera, microphone and speaker aren't usable, same thing happens with any bluetooth device or headphone jacks so I can't record myself. It says they are "unavailable", but do you know what this precisely means ?

New computers and Zorin can be difficult due to the age of the Zorin kernel. You will probably need a more up to date kernel that will recognize your newer hardware. I am not an expert at updating Zorin’s kernel. Either wait for Zorin 17 which might work or use a newer distribution like Ubuntu or even Debian 12 which has an up to date kernel. Mint’s LMDE 6 with the Cinnamon desktop is using the 6.1 kernel. Or use something like Manjaro or Fedora. Finally, like I said before, you can update Zorin’s kernel but others can provide better details on how to do that. :v:

If it is the kernel, you can use the TuxInvader mainline:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tuxinvader/lts-mainline

sudo apt update && sudo apt install linux-generic-6.03

1 Like

still no sound coming out of the speakers or my bluetooth headset :face_with_diagonal_mouth:
My new computer is a hybrid, so I think this is where the problem comes from :face_with_diagonal_mouth:
gonna try reinstalling it

Have you chosen ZorinOS Lite edition because you prefer xfce desktop, or is your hardware limited spec?

If you can provide some basic hardware details of your new computer, including cpu, graphics card and sound card/s etc. That will give us an idea of the machine you are trying install on.

1 Like