Pictures directory in left side of File manager won't open (Oops error)

1. I have gone into cat ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs and changed XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/" to XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Pictures" to correct the issue many times but .... after saving, logging out and logging back in it always returns to back to XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/.

2. Also, full page screenshots (alt+Print) now save to Home and should by default save to a /Pictures/Screenshots like most of the rest of the Linux world including Fedora.
    Enjoying Zorin OS 16.3 very much but unless you can advise fixes for these core basics, I cannot live in Zorin World. Thank you..

The default location in Zorin OS Core is indeed XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Pictures"

Can you please relay the terminal output for:

grep -ri "xdg-user-dirs-update" /etc/

Something is creating a non-default situation. It may be some autostart software that you installed or a startup script.

You can workaround this issue by using chattr to make the file immutable:

chattr +i ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs

You can reverse this if needed in order to make changes:

chattr -i ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs

1 Like

Thank you for offering help on this. here is the output of requested terminal output>
/etc/xdg/autostart/xdg-user-dirs.desktop:TryExec=xdg-user-dirs-update
/etc/xdg/autostart/xdg-user-dirs.desktop:Exec=xdg-user-dirs-update
/etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf:# This controls the behaviour of xdg-user-dirs-update which is run on user login

Is that the total output? If so, that is odd...
Have you tried making the user directories file immutable?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.