Playing music over internet Like stereo mix

Gday all,
Im trying to play music over the internet, like stereo mix on windows,
Im using zorin core 16.2.
Cheers

1 Like

iheart radio, Spotify? I'm not sure what stereo mix is, i only use windows for gaming.

Please be aware of where you post content. I'm moving this to general help, since it isn't a tutorial or guide.

More information would be helpful. Your post is vague and users may not use the same software you do.

1 Like

Sorry its my first post/question, im also new to Zorin/linux, ty for shift question to correct area, As for being vague in my question , im not sure what else i need to say? Stereo mix in windows is the default system sounds, playing music via stereo mix allows other in a chat situation to hear the music clearly , as compared to hearing the music via the microphone.
Cheers

1 Like

Ah. This depends more on the platform you use.. zoom and Google meet, even slack allows the sharing of media playing on the host computer. There may be alternatives. I'll take a look.

Please take the time to read Introduction to General Help - Please Review before posting - #3

1 Like

Answer 2 of sound - How to record "stereo mix" with VLC? - Ask Ubuntu may be something like what you want.

If it makes sense, you could possibly set the source app to output to loopback, then the destination's source to loopback with the default output.

1 Like

Thanks, but i dont wish to record, i wish to play music via internet via system output (like stereo mix does) weather its peer to peer chat or a platform app chat. i think ill just wait for someone who knows what i mean.. Again ty for trying.
Cheers

1 Like

I do understand what you mean. My recommendation to play to loopback from the music app and from loopback by the chat app could be a possible solution. You could also research some of it yourself.... zorin is based on Ubuntu 20, so most solutions for Ubuntu work on Zorin.

1 Like

I have spent hours researching forms on zorin ubuntu also youtube, hence i thought id try the zorin forum, i have tried several things & now im going to try ( pulse Audio) .
Cheers
p.s maybe it may help ,, but just concentrate on music from my hard drive via a chat app. as for zoom yes zoom has a button to let other hear your music on windows os.

1 Like

well pulse audio is no good,
Here's maybe another way to help. for testing i open sound recordings in zorin os, mute or unplug your mic. play music from your hard drive & try to record it, i get nothing, yet i hear the music via speakers,
Hope this may help.

1 Like

You could have a play around with sound settings in alsamixer to see if any input/output channels are muted or set low. Also experiment with [Loopback] and [Auto-Mute] channel settings to see if any effect.

To open alsamixer start a terminal session and type alsamixer
Hit [F5] to view "All" channels.

Good luck, sound issues are sometimes hit-and-miss i.e. not straightforward and logical.

2 Likes

Gday @zabadabadoo , Thanks. I'm starting to think this os (Zorin core) is like the windows Vista, which wouldn't allow you to have stereo mix, i have gone cross-eyed trying all combinations within alsamixer & pulse audio, maybe like the old Vista, it seems i may need a sound card & not just the built in audio, As seen on the right in systems sound there is NO indication of sound when playing, to the left you can see the indication in the output, i have other screenshots.

Cheers.

1 Like

Sorry, maybe I didn't get the situation, are you saying that you'd like to play pc music on a connected phone or other music player?

Gday @Luca_Pavan , Ty, I'll try another way to explain, referring to windows os, Stereo mix is basically a virtual audio output device for desktop audio, whatever is playing on your computer can be transmitted through this device. As seen in the pic above ( the last pic ) you see on the left i have music/sound indicated by the white line & hear the music from my speakers, on the right in the systems sounds i have no output, with stereo mix it allows you to let others ( via eg, a chat messenger app ) to hear the music without it going via the mic. With some add-on sound cards it is referred to as " What you hear".
Im at the point of thinking zorin core ( like old windows vista ) does not have this ability, & if so, then a sound card is the way to get this function.
Cheers

1 Like

Hold the press, It's Working, i thought id have another play, but it started working without any changes ( everything i changed i reverted it back to it's original state ), the only thing that i can think of is i restarted the pc, So the os must have needed a little nudge, Thanks all for your help. As on windows in helping others, a simple restart can sometimes fix issue's, It maybe due to a few different chat messenger installations.
Thanks heaps again all.
Cheers ( one happy xmas gift :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I see from your alsamixer screenshots that you have several sound channels muted [MM] e.g. Headphone, Line etc.
In alsamixer You can unmute them by panning to them and hit the "M" key, then increase the slider.
Sometimes you need to play around with those settings to get all sound working correctly.

I hope your success continues to be true after a reboot. Good Luck and Merry Christmas.

2 Likes

Gday @zabadabadoo Thanks again, yes i had the mic muted as to reduce my head ache, hahahaha,, & yes ty , i read the Help instructions in Alsamixer finding how to use it :slight_smile: , hence i muted unwanted items. A restart was a big thing in windows after installing new programs, more so in windows 7 & prior, windows 8 & thereafter seems to not have to restart, Sometime its the easy way's that solve issue's. As i had installed 4 different messenger programs, you get things like, programs fighting for control, hence the os gets stuck so to say.
SO solution is , Restart the pc after new programs have been installed, more so audio programs. Even non-audio programs, if it's behaving funny/wrong, Then try a restart.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.