[Poll] Reason for choosing Zorin Pro

I would have chosen both.

See this comment by @Aravisian above.

2 Likes

Yes on reflection, this is a valid point.

I haven't voted in the poll as I didn't purchase Pro. I've installed Core (adding Cinnamon DE) to a new-ish laptop, having been waiting for Lite to be released (and given up waiting as I didn't want to use Windows any longer.) I've donated a couple of times because I do appreciate the work of the developers and am keen to support them, so that would have been my vote if I had purchased it.

5 Likes

In the beginning I choosed pro. Because I wanted to support development etc. But last 2-3 months I switched back to Endeavour os. Why ? Easy. Full support from devs, community, lot of choice during installation, fully configurable. Smooth, fast experience. No issues at all.

Here, only good reasons to choose Zorin is community and awesome support from the moderators. If I would buy pro version again , I will rather donate that money to them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Greetings from Germany,

as an old-aged professional I'm working for years with BSD and Linux.
Mostly OpenBSD with I3 or vanilla Debian for our Servers (KVM-virtualized).

I was looking for a easy-to-use win XP (!!) replacement for my 83 years old father and tried some distros (Deepin, UbuntuDDE, ...) and finally Zorin Lite & Core. And I had the luck to get some old but working iMacs (i3/2011 and i5/2012). I replaced MacOS with with Zorin core on the older one (for me / support reasons) and replaced the newer one with the pro version (for my father).
Good decision. He's accepting it. :smirk:
I don't like XFCE on Zorin - most of the one or two pixel point-and-hit areas in the corners when using the mouse (as my father does...).
Gnome is quite more handy.

That's it. I like Zorin on the old Macs. Good Job!

Best regards
Andre (I just got my first coffee today ...)

3 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I used to play around with BSD but never be able to create a usable desktop environment mainly due to the lack of drivers :frowning:

You expressed my occasional frustration very eloquently!

Yes....But GNOME has its own quark....

Nothing is perfect.

Can you explain that more?

I can explain that to you.
There is this loooong standing issue about XFCE desktop.

It is mighty difficult to grub the bottom corner of a windows to resize it.

This problem depends on the desktop theme.
The only one that works flawlessly is Adwata, which is not everyone's cup of tea :tea:

2 Likes

Not the only one. :wink:

I can custom make any theme to work the way the user wants in XFWM4 and have done so by request many times.
Perhaps I should make the Zorin Themes in XFWM$ for grabable areas, and include that in the Cinnamon and Mate Zenith themes.

1 Like

I did not know it was possible :heavy_heart_exclamation:

It's actually easy to do. XFWM4 Follows the image as the guide for the resize area. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That's a great news.
The major reason I switched my Mint desktop from XFCE to Cinnamon was this corner grubbing issue.

Examples:

Zorin OS Lite window Border with small Grab Area Borders:

"Zenith-blue-dark" - same theme, but with large (7x larger) grab-able Window Border and Corner edges:

1 Like

With Zorin i started many years ago. I collecting them version. Don't have 6 ultimate and earlier. It is possible catch original ? Besides I believe Zorin because new versions are not clones before "ubuntu" design. 5 years ago no open source drivers for my graphic card. Now they exist.

You can no longer get Zorin OS 6 Ultimate, but you can still get Core and Lite:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/zorin-os/files/6/

1 Like

I prefer the slimmer Zorin Core version, but paid for Pro to support the developers. Hoping the upgrade tool might let me add the extra themes to my Core install without the additional applications. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I am married with Zorin with three style design pro,core and lite.:joy:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.