POP OS to abandon Gnome

Yep, and its quite clear that Microsoft is already rocking the boat with their Windows11. Its known to be faster then Gnome, considerably. But the real question is, is Windows11 faster then XFCE? Microsoft latest OS's come package with telemetry, that has got to play a part against them speed wise. Some people think that when the first updates begin rolling on through, the updates will break the system like the Windows 10 updates did.

But at the end of the day, MS wants to rock the boat, get people to doubt about Linux cause Gnome sucks so bad. This is why XFCE needs to make a greater impact in the Linux community. The faster that the Zorins release OS 16 LITE the better. Give people the incentive to throw Windows11 in the shredder!

2 Likes

I saw on yt channel W11 de facto is W10 when you checked a script. W11 is only a make up to believe this is something new.
This is also market tips in audio. The same model selling with up number and expensive price. I remember radeon hd7000 some version was the same the good model was selled with higher a number and but the same parameters.
For me Zorin Lite will be good choice. I saw core is awesome.

to me this is just LARPing

also

the new linus tech tips video where popOS makes linux look really bad

But overall LTT substantiate everything gnome is working towards

Also some sense from Gardiner Bryant

Nah for me he is actor. He cannot decide what side he want to be.
He know then he lost many companies what are doing a money for tutorial doing some products in future. He is what i can thinking where wind comes with more money then I go?

1 Like

this didn't make much sense trying to read it

It is a good point.
I will rewrite it in an easier to understand English:

His thinking is based on which wind he should go with that could bring more money for him.

In another words, he is an opportunist.

@Bourne
did I get it right?

3 Likes

Correct. I remember when people on channel sayed a keyboard ducky duck with 200$ is best. Well over year or warranty was bricked. That how some companies paying youtubers channels to selling they products where a true is like a some fake news. In real life sometimes cheaper working for many years. I still have a old a mouse Microsoft - Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 from December 19, 2005 no complain working with linux.

1 Like

That can also be read another way.
Oh, no options!? This is baad!!

3 Likes

A point: Users may indeed prefer fewer options. This is known. But users will almost always actively eliminate options, reducing the number of available options to a manageable number.
Marketing need take no action - the users and consumers will take care of that for you.

How many Desktop Environments exist - and how many can you name?
Many may list Gnome, XFCE, KDE right off the bat. Others may include LXDE, Budgie and a couple others.
There are over 25 D.E.'s total.
Users reduced the number of choices to about 6 on their own. IF Gnome was replaced by distros, it would fall to the wayside and be eliminated as an option by most users all on their won, with no need for developers or marketers to take any other action.
You can put as many options out there as you want. The users will narrow it down without you having to worry about if there are too many.
It is preferable to have the options and let the users limit it, than to limit it for the users and miss the mark. Gnome prefers to Limit User options, then tell the user to "deal with it."

There are times when you cannot: A restaurant. In cases where the consumer cannot readily eliminate options, they get frustrated by choice paralysis.
In this case it is better to have fewer (But not too few) options.

6 Likes

I haven't tried Gnome 4 so I can't say if I like it or not. But I do like Gnome 3 - even though it's not so customizable as KDE. I see Gnome 3 more as a out-out-the-box experience in that matter with some select-able options.

My 5 cent to the discussion :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

There are many good reasons to like Gnome and enjoy the Gnome desktop.

Many people may like and use Gnome D.E. and I have no quarrel with that. My opposition to Gnome is not the desktop; but the ProActive choices made by the Gnome Team to act against other desktop environments in order to eliminate them as a chioce on behalf of the users.
Such as LibAdwaita: Gnome Team seeks to step outside of Gnome development and key in their own development to undercut and throw other D.E's under the bus.
That is what I have a problem with.
If Gnome Team was willing to focus on their own D.E. and support FOSS and the existence of Other D.E.'s, I would not have such issues with Gnome.
I personally do not like using KDE, but you do not see my spewing venom at KDE. Because KDE does not actively take steps to undercut Other D.E.'s.

3 Likes

It was Zorin that got me back on Gnome. I have been involved with Budgie since 2017 via Solus and Ubuntu Budgie. The Budgie DE is built around the gnome stack for now and it may be 3 years Solus Budgie is rewritten in efl with a new file manager.

2 Likes

Same for me.
Zorin is the only OS I could be conformable and productive in GNOME.

4 Likes
5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.