Possible to switch desktop environments?

I am running core, but would like to try the lite version without losing my installed programs etc. Is it possible to have two DE and switch at login?

You're confusing two entirely different things. If you don't want to lose your software then you stay on core with all the software that was installed.

You can in fact install more than one DE on your system. If you search this forum there are numerous postings giving you step by step instructions on how to install each of them.

I mean more specifically that I want to try zorin's version of xfce without losing everything.

Yes which is a DE, I understood what you were actually trying to say.

As I stated, search the forum there are numerous postings about installing other DE's on to the system.

Here's one: [HOW TO] Install KDE (plasma), GNOME, XFCE, Cinnamon, MATE, Budgie, LXQt, LXDE and UKUI Dekstop Environments

Also, the terminal command for Zorin OS Lite version of xfce would be:

sudo apt install zorin-os-lite-desktop

1 Like

If you are doing this for the speed, then you need to reinstall via the iso of lite, if you are doing it for the desktop environment, do as @Aravisian Suggested.

Once installed to change DE use the cog bottom right of screen before logging in.

I suspect that if installing the Zorin OS Lite Desktop, it probably will install LightDM, as well. In fact... I probably should have mentioned that sooner...

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.