Problem with Firefox that makes Zorin mess up?

The above screenshot shows a lot of sectors :expressionless:

Oh no.
It looks like it is standing with its last leg...
At this stage, your best bet is obtaining a new drive and copy the personal data from the old drive.

1 Like

I literally bought this laptop last year. Brand new. It's crazy that it's been messing up like this.

Good idea!
I did not think about of it.
Then OP does not have to buy a new drive immediately.

Does that mean i can't use my laptop at all until i get a new HDD?

Positive.

At this stage any kind of file manipulation poses a danger to the content of your HDD. Bad sectors can increase exponentially.

But how did the drive get this way in the first place?? Was it something i did, or was it faulty from the start?

That is why I asked you the age of this drive.
Depends on the warranty term, you could RMA failed drive within 2 or 3 years. I think 5 year warranty is the thing of the past.

HDD/SSD is not permanent.
They are consumable.

The trick is to transfer your data to the new disk before they fail.
From my experience, any disk over 5 years old started to show the sign of age.

1 Like

Mine's just over a year. Not even a year and a half old yet.

New does not mean undamaged.
I worked at a large well known Computer manufacturer, long ago. And workers would drop computers all the time. They would say, "well, it's not going to my house" and put it back on the pallet.

1 Like

Definitely you should RMA it.
Visit the manufacturers site and search for RMA info.
There is usually a check box to input the serial number of your disk to confirm the eligibility of returning the disk for exchange.

You have to pay a postage to ship back but returning cost will be paid by the manufacturer.

[edit]
If you meant that your laptop is less than 2 years old, then you might be able to RMA the laptop itself.

2 Likes

I was also thinking if it's a salvaged HDD they put in a new computer.

How could it be possible?
The SMART data will show the number of hours in usage, no?
Or only the nerd like myself would check that kind of things?

The avarage joe six pack would never check. A hustle is a hustle. The biggest consumer of techs are still those with no knowledge of what they are using.

Since i need a new drive, does anyone have recommendations? Should i get a hard drive again, or a solid state drive?

Now the price of the SSD comes down so much, I would strongly recommend to get SSD.
Especially in laptop, SSD can take more shock than HDD since there is no spinning disk in it.
Also you will notice the vast improvement in speed.

As for the brand, there is really no need for getting the most expensive one in the market. There is a small speed difference but you will not notice the difference. I have over 20 SSDs floating around in my house and so far, the only ones that went bad were Kingston and Intel. None of those lesser known Chinese made SSDs gone bad.

3 Likes

It's a hard drive. Or are you asking for specs? Because i don't think i know specs.

I think he wants to know the dimension. But I am sure it is 2,5 inch since it is for laptop, no?.

1 Like

I did not think of the possibility of nvme. I also know the most inexpensive laptop comes with eMMC. If it is soldered to the m/b, it would be impossible to replace.

We can exclude IDE connect since it is less than 2 years old.
I have not seen any IDE connect HDD for over 10 years.

3 Likes

It really depends.
Some models requires almost complete disassembly since internal disk can be reached from the keyboard side. I had one of those in past and it was a pain. I even had to remove monitor and speaker cable to get at it.