Product repairability and soldering

It isn't always simple to pull the CMOS battery if you have a laptop. It is more accessible if you have a desktop/tower PC.

1 Like

That is very true.
Some CMOS is even soldered on m/b for cost saving. Making it impossible to replace unless one would invest into a de-soldering station.

1 Like

THAT'S CURSED, IMAGINE YOU NEED TO REPLACE THE BATTERY TO FIX THE ISSUE BUT IT'S SOLDERED ON!!!

1 Like

Never mind CMOS, I even saw the eMMC (the only storage) soldered on m/b of cheap laptops to save cost for a proper socket.

In my opinion, those "unrepairable" products should be strictly forbidden by regulatory authorities.

2 Likes

But sometimes it's just for marketing, manufacturers know that the average user isn't going to care. The machine breaks, they buy a new one. The cheap price also boost sales.

2 Likes

Yes, and adding yet another e-garbage heap into our landfill.
Aren't we love the capitalism? /s

1 Like

Laws are slow to change, but they are moving in the right direction. https://repair.eu/
Hope this stops more "flying toasters" crash landing in waste landfill sites.

Manufacturers will find another way...

@FrenchPress Subject Deviation Warning as from post #62 alarm bells ringing in my ears. Maybe in need of a magic wand moment to split the thread?

It made a certain amount of stirs in France but in reality there are many loopholes.

You said that faster than me :wink:
I really like your fast thinking.

In the effort for reducing e-garbage in a personal level, I got myself a good quality soldering machine and doing a small repair job.

Since I am the only person who knows how to solder in the entire family/relatives, there is always a project waiting for me on the table.

I am kind of proud of myself since my soldering skill is self taught (so as my English, btw).

When I solder something, it's not pretty at all. I pretty much never soldered, only touched it like once.

1 Like

You should watch some Youtube videos.
There are tones of instructions.
While I usually prefer texts for the instruction, soldering is something I appreciate motion picture for instruction.

So far, I salvaged several hose hold items which already paid the price of the soldering station.

2 Likes

Manufactures gived you on first product trustly good working a product with next generation only change design with poor software and take a hyper brand the best product on the world. Then next 3 months you update a firmware and everything stop working and a mouse or a keyboard have a problems what they don't have a before to try told you go to shop and buying new model what we just announced or taken and give your money from a wallet. Better when your warranty is off then your product get a problem with electronics inside like in a laptops. What can you do if service a repair a laptop is expensive?
Really it exist and isn't this psychological business to get a money from people who buyed the near the same products with the same near problems?

A good "solder sucker" tool can get you out of a mess.

1 Like

That must be a reply to @Kedric.
I already got a good one of those at hand along with several de-soldering tapes.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Left and Right click mouse button not working

I think we should move this discussion to a new thread.
Now we are talking about soldering.
I think @Aravisian would have something to say for this subject :wink:

[edit]
I just did with my moderator magic wand :star2:

2 Likes

Maybe I will get my own soldering tool when I'm older.

1 Like

I have all soldering tools but watch out do not over heating another electronics a components.

1 Like

Inexpensive ones start from under 20 Euro.
You can ask it as a Xmas gift?

One ones like I got (with temperature control) are bit more pricey though.