Questions about removing snaps and replacing them

Hello. I have been reading a lot about snap being bad in this forum so I decided to remove it. So first I listed all my snaps and I have a few doubts.

jeslin@jeslin-Satellite-L510:~$ snap list
Name               Version          Rev    Tracking       Publisher         Notes
brave              1.29.81          130    latest/stable  brave             -
core18             20210722         2128   latest/stable  canonical*        base
core20             20210702         1081   latest/stable  canonical*        base
curl               7.78.0           333    latest/stable  woutervb          -
gtk-common-themes  0.1-52-gb92ac40  1515   latest/stable  canonical*        -
lolcat             100.0.1          1      latest/stable  busyloop          -
snapd              2.51.4           12883  latest/stable  canonical*        snapd
telegram-desktop   3.1.0            3119   latest/stable  telegram.desktop  -
vlc                3.0.16           2344   latest/stable  videolan*         -

What is this core 18 and 20. Are they important? If I remove them, what command can I use to replace them.

Thanks in advance :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I need to provide an opinion here...
We are members. Some of us do believe Snaps and Flatpak have more cons than pros. But this is not the official position of Zorin OS or ZorinGroup and many members have a different opinion about Snap and Flatpak.

Ok so...
Everything you see listed there can be safely removed.

Some of those are apps that you may be using - so if you remove them, you will need to replace them with .deb versions.

core18, core20, curl, gtk-common-themes all can be safely removed. They only relate to the use of Snap Packages in your system, not to your system.
You do not need to replace them, since they are already included in your system. Those snap packages add compatibility for snaps to your system, since they cannot access your system to retrieve them.

2 Likes

Thank you for the info. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.