Rambling in the Brambles

Given your comments, I decided to try out Slimjet. I like it alright, but it looks just like Google Chrome to me. What are the differences?

No Rodger Ramjet For The SlimJet :joy:

1 Like

I think it uses the Chrome/ium engine but it is FOSS.
This should give you all the information you need:

https://www.slimjet.com/en/about-slimjet.htm

2 Likes

(5) Generally offer better cooling performance, especially when if water cooled

Beg to differ as do these guys:

1 Like

I think you misunderstood. Desktops offer better cooling performance especially if water cooled, as compared to notebooks.

Notebooks are very well known to thermal throttle due to infurior cooling, this is well documented among high end powerhouse notebooks.

My MSI will hit 90+ degrees C on the CPU if I weren't running a cooling pad, and if I weren't operating a -50mv undervolt offset in the BIOS.

I'm going to bed to get some sleep.

2 Likes

This is what I was looking for originally StarTreker:

2 Likes

I agree I run a cooling pad under my Asus 17in gaming laptop also ... it do make a big difference ....

4 Likes

Hello Frog, yes they do make a difference, especially the high end ones. This is my Afmat cooler that I got for my MSI notebook.

Its a very powerful unit that makes a solid difference to my thermals. Without it, my machine would be thermal throttling like crazy in high performance workloads. And believe it or not, this cooler running in LOW mode, still manages to keep my idle temps down too.

Screenshot of idle temps with AFMAT cooler on LOW Speed

2 Likes

I split this rather lengthy tangent from a Solved Thread.

2 Likes

I don't have issues with cooling mats for notebooks - it's the other gubbins for desktops that I would feel very uneasy about. I've heard many a tale where a pipe has split and foobard the motherboard. As Chris Titus says - if you are a tinkerer, or an Artist then fine, but for the average user, keep to fans - especially Noctua ones! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I really love Noctua! I wish they would make fans for notebooks too. I tried to look up fan replacements for my MSI notebook, and came up with nothing. They don't even list the brand name of the fans in the notebooks manual! So if I need to replace my notebook fans at some point incase they stop working, I am kind of screwed apparently.

If Noctua were to make direct cooler replacements for many notebook brands including MSI, I'd get onboard with that. Cause I know that Noctua's quality is world renowned, and I would love to have their cooler in my notebook, I can tell you that.

2 Likes

My Asus laptop doesn't have a cooling pad.... Instead, it has an electric fan beside. We both taking the heat away. :sunglasses: .

3 Likes

Yeah, we all know what kind of fan you are using to cool that computer.................................

3 Likes

That would work but much better using an electric blower than a gas one ... unless of coarse you can vent the exhaust to the outside ... other wise it is sleepy time for Bongo .... permanently .... LOL

2 Likes

bongo, bongo, bongo I don't want to leave the congo
Oh no no no no no
Bingle, bangle, bungle I'm so happy in the jungle I refuse to go
Don't want no bright lights, false teeth, doorbells, landlords
I make it clear
That no matter how they coax him
I'll stay right here

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.