Install boot override

@Aravisian, did that and that one is not working

"Parser hints > jack_detect = no
Apply now
Install boot override"

It's mono again lol

1 Like

Is this solved? OR back to Mono now?

Yes it's solved, hoewever when i rollback and follow your steps my audio is mono again. So yes i did read it and no that one did not work.

Are you able to reset yours?

People don't listen well, it "looks" like it's coming from the left speaker but the sound comes from the subwoofer. The left and right speaker don't work. They really should put their ears on it to fill in a bug request.

I am so happy that you were able to fix it! I agree with Zaba, sound issues, and even WIFI issues, are some of the most annoying things to get working in Linux. But once they are working, its fun times lol.

Congrats!

PS: Excellent job in providing screenshots!

I still wonder why in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf is written

; default-sample-format = s16le
; default-sample-rate = 44100
; alternate-sample-rate = 48000
; default-sample-channels = 2
; default-channel-map = front-left,front-right

When i change it to
; default-sample-channels = 3
; default-channel-map = front-left,front-right, lfe

Nothing happens BEFORE i used the alsamixer

It won't work for me as it is only picking up the HDMI ports:

I suspect also there might be a need for Jack packages and in view of how screwy Jack became it wasn't long before most distros ditched Jack Audio - ALSA feels like it is in the same position that Betamax was to VHS cf. Pulse - Pulse is the worst audio system ever but it has become embedded not just in Linux but I read somewhere that it is embedded in audio for the motor vehicle industry so it is hard to remove it!

On a side note, Q4OS is based on Debian - and shutter is still available - superior to spectacle because it captures menu drop-downs, spectacle doesn't/can't.

1 Like

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:
Decided to take a look at the output wiring and it appears after I had put the Noctua cpu fan the cables got inadvertently placed one hole to the right!
However I think I have found my Nirvana lont-term OS! Artix KDE:

Sadly the install completed before I could take a spectacle image of a still they used in the installer from The Matrix of Moebius 'saying' "Did you know SystemD is an agent?" :rofl:
It is a bare bones install but there are tons of applications via AUR as used by Arch Linux on which it is derived - they also do isos of base packages with different boot options: openrc, runit, s6, suite66,
Desktop Environment (graphical) installs: cinnamon, community-gtk, community-qt, lxde, lxqt, mate, plasma, xfce.

Notice that graphically it uses X11 which is more secure than x.org - another leakhole!

2 Likes

@swarfendor437 You must have seen this thread then :smiley: Cable management and Zabadabadoo's Torment

I don't think you will get many who argue otherwise regarding state of Sound under Linux at the moment.

Why is the sample format in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf settings set to this ?

; default-sample-format = s16le <- why is it set to 16 ?
; default-sample-rate = 44100 <- why is this not 48000 ?
; alternate-sample-rate = 48000 <- why is this not 44100 ?
; default-sample-channels = 2 <- i have 2 speakers and a sub, should this not be 3
; default-channel-map = front-left,front-right <- ??

I know i cannot compare sounds from windows with linux but in linux the sound is somewhat different.

If i would change the stuff above to this will that improve the sound or not ?

I had to change in the past these 2 settings to get my front speakers to work in my laptop

yet i still have the feeling the sounds are off because the sub is also using the same sounds as the speakers do. I really want to know why the subs is not set for bass only.

When i put the slider down for PCM everything get lowerd (the sub and both speakers). When i put it back to wat it was and play with the Front setting it does the same as the PCM setting. So i changed that back as well but when i move the surround to 0 nothing happens, that whole settings is doing nothing. The Master one is the same as PCM annd Front.

How can i fix this ? I have this issue in Zorin and in Pop. My laptop speakers looks like this

Does increasing the level on [Centre] and/or [LFE] do anything?

Also try unmuting [Headphon] and increasing the level.

I have learned Sound problems require a lot of trial-and-error experimentation, even things that don't relate to speakers.

1 Like

Nope, centre and lfe cannot be turned up here.

Oh well, worth a try.
I have also been doing a websearch using "realtek alc255 surround sound ubuntu" but nothing of great interest has come up yet. I will post back if I find anything good.

1 Like

I changed the 0x1b pin from Internal Speaker to Internal Speaker (Back)

0x17 - change to Internal Speaker (LFE)
0x1b - change to Internal Speaker (Back)

Now i can control the front speakers and bass seperatly.

Sound control:
Master = Subwoofer + Front Speakers
PCM = Subwoofer + Front Speakers
Front = Subwoofer
Surround = My speakers front
Internal = Does do nothing

So far I have only found this. But not sure if any help at all to you.
https://medium.com/@gamunu/enable-high-quality-audio-on-linux-6f16f3fe7e1f

What happens if you Enable [Loopback Mixing] in alsamixer?

Note: to save alsamixer settings over a boot do this:

sudo alsactl store

1 Like

That site i found too yesterday and still have to try that out. I made a post for that yesterday because i wanted to know why the rates where set lower and if it would help to change that -> Realtek ALC255 sound and subwoofer - #36 by Michel

Thanks, but no difference at all.

1 Like

The only thing that i still try to find out is why the subwoofer acts like it is a speaker and subwoofer in 1.

When i play games or movies and turn off the 2 speakers the sub is still playing like a normal speaker...that is so weird to me. I only know subwoofers that are made for bass :woozy_face:

Correct. They are only designed to output a limited low pass frequency range.

1 Like