Reboot Error "Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported"

Hello,

I am a new Linux user and I installed Zorin OS last week. It has been working fine but an error has been coming up when I turn on my computer. I have a Lenovo laptop that had Windows 10 pre-installed. A while back I upgraded it to Windows 11 and last week I decided to partition the disk to have both Windows 11 and Zorin 16 Core.
The computer has 16 GB RAM and an SSD with 512 GB of storage. I created a new partition for Zorin and allocated 250 GB for it, while trimming Windows' side down to 250 GB as well. Both Windows and Zorin are working great, and they are both up to date. I also downloaded Lenovo System Update to check for BIOS updates and it says my BIOS is up to date.
Nevertheless, whenever I turn my laptop on, before I get to the dual boot screen where I choose which OS to start, I get the following error:
"Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywere else TAB lists possible device or file completions".
I haven't really found what to do about it, so I have just been using the "reboot" command. It generally leads to the same error, but after a 3rd or 4th time it shows me the options to start Zorin or Windows, which work without any problem.
I must say this had never happened before installing Zorin, but I have the feeling this error is not related to Linux. Is it Windows that it creating the problem? Lenovo? And also, what does this error even mean? I am new to Linux and have no computing experience whatsoever, so I am a little worried I might have broken or corrupted my laptop somehow, whatever that means.
I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out with this and let me know how to fix the error and whether my laptop is broken.
Thank you!

No, your laptop is not broken.
If this was me, I would reinstall grub.
Here is a guide to do so- It looks intimidating but is very easy. Just read ahead and follow all the steps and you will be fine.

As to the cause... it's hard to say. One thing users really should do is totally Defragment Windows prior to resizing partitions.

2 Likes

Ok, I'll try that!

Should I do this? Or is it too late now that I have already resized the Windows partition?

I would anyway... but yes, it is too late.

NTFS fragments data all over the drive. Defragging prior to making a change in the partition allows better "finding" of file markers during the partition move.
Without it having been done... then there is a chance of file corruption taking place in moving any fragments en masse during partition resizing.

2 Likes

The process is simple if you follow the steps carefully (not blindly). You may have to change the partition names as per your system.

Step 1: Boot in to the live Linux USB.

Step 2: You need to find out iif your system uses EFI or BIOS. To do that, open the terminal and use the following command to list your partitions:

sudo fdisk -l
Look closely in its output because it could be a huge output. If you see something like EFI, it’s an indication that your system has EFI. This information is important in later stages.

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/sda1 2048 976895 974848 476M EFI System
/dev/sda2 976896 40038399 39061504 18.6G Linux filesystem
/dev/sda3 40038400 79099903 39061504 18.6G Linux filesystem
/dev/sda4 79099904 468875263 389775360 185.9G Linux filesystem
You need to note two things here. The partition where EFI is installed (if it is installed) and the partition where root partition is installed.

Step 3 (for UEFI systems only): Now, what you need to do is to reinstall grub.

Mount the root partition first. I am using /dev/sda2 for root but you should change this with what you have on your system:

sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt

If you have EFI system, mount that partition as well:

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi
Now, the next step is to finally install grub for UEFI system like this:

sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot --bootloader-id=ubuntu --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/mnt/boot/efi
Restart Ubuntu Linux using this command:

shutdown -r now
You should have the grub back to normal.

Step 3 (only for non-EFI system): Installing grub on non-EFI system is even easier.

Mount the root partition of Linux:

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
And then install grub:

sudo grub-install /dev/sd1

Reboot and it should be fine.

This may help you,
Rachel Gomez

This post was copied from:

Which is the same link I posted in this reply.

@RachelGomez161999 , you are being monitored as Spam.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.