Recommended Apps, Features and OS Talk

So running flatpak list | wc -l there seems to be 53 flatpaks installed on the system on the Pro version, doing the same command gives the terminal response No snaps are installed yet. Try 'snap install hello-world'.

I couldn't give enough credit for the Zorin team not installing snaps by default as I do not condone the use of snaps for multiple reasons which I won't go into detail with the starting post.

I would like to see a few things installed by default though flatseal the major one on future pro versions so you can monitor the permissions each flatpak has over the system. The others I personally use is tlp tlp-rdw and htop

Whats everyone's thoughts on this? What would you like to see in future versions?

As always thanks Zorin team for your work and if you don't already own Pro I highly recommend it as it supports the team working on the OS and if you don't want to purchase Pro I highly recommend donating if you use Zorin OS as your daily driver or use it on friends PC's if you maintain them.

I did not know about tlp but look really nice to have, I will take a look at it. I have a Tuxedo laptop which comes with a very similar utility to control things like the fan speed or limit processor frequency. What I did not like as much is the interface, as simple as it seems at a glance the usability is not so good.

Something else that I think is really nice and gives it a personal touch, is a conky display much like MX Linux does. Maybe a few built-in themes that adjust or go along with the theme selected.

I think that this should be included with the Core version as well

1 Like

If core has flatpaks then sure. I always purchase the Pro version (was ultimate) as if I want an Ubuntu system that just works out of the box and I don't need to set up or it's for old PC's / people new to linux

Core has Flatpak, Snap, and AppImage support included, same as the Pro version :slight_smile:

Is there such as thing as "AppImage support"? I thought they simply worked everywhere as all dependencies needed are self-contained.

They should already be able to run as your right all dependencies are in the .appimage file if it's not working try this.

right click on the downloaded appimage file - select properties - go to the permissions tab - check the box that says “Allow executing file as program"

Should then work with a double click

1 Like

Absolutely. Even Self-contained packages, like appimages, can carry along dependencies, but cannot carry along all necessary libraries.
Distros routinely ensure that the proper libraries are installed in the system:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.