Reinstall Zorin Ultra

After struggling with a graphics card issue on my hp zbook 17 G6 (as it turns out HP borks the boot of Zorin by implementing a “feature” of hybrid graphics card switching) I now can’t open the settings panel. It immediately drops me into a hibernate mode and logs me off.

I tried:
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt remove unity-control-center
sudo apt install unity-control-center
And got no love.

So I just want to go back to that happy place where everything worked and all I had to do was close the laptop lid when I logged in and reopen it and all was good.

So I want to reinstall. But being a Linux noob I’m not sure how to navigate the reinstall, especially the partition section. I’m not sure what to do when I get to the “something else” option of reinstall.

Google Photos

I don’t really care about retaining my /home directory as I haven’t really done much yet. I just want a reinstall, not two instances of Zorin on my laptop and I don’t want to screw up my grub menu.

thanks in advance.
Chris

Don’t reinstall. The settings panel not opening can be remedied by reinstalling gnome-control-center - I recommend using Synaptic to do so.
If you still do feel like reinstalling, follow these partitioning suggestions.

I found:

To Update, Upgrade and create a new Grub:

sudo apt-get -f install -y && sudo apt dist-upgrade -y && sudo update-initramfs -u -k all && reboot

did the trick.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you both for your suggestions. I tried to reinstall the gnome control center @carmar via Synaptic but didn’t solve the problem (on the plus side I discovered a new tool, Thanks carmar :smile: )

I then tried @finston trick and it worked great! Way better than a reinstall as it retained my programs and even my VMs and the control center is now working! So happy now!

Oh Nooooooooo! I just tried the control center for the second time and now it drops me to the log on screen again! What the heck? I will now look at the partitioning suggestions from @carmar Ugh.

OK. I deleted the old partition and followed the recommendations from @carmar for the reinstall and repartition and all is good once again. I probably won’t be able to help myself and I will keep playing around with settings and will bork my system once again. But until then I have my dual monitors working and the gnome control center happily starts up without compaint (yes I tried it more than once this time :wink: ) Thanks again to both of you for helping out!

1 Like