Rename a file

Ah oke, so i don't need to install dconf-editor to change that ?

Thanks again.

Dconf-editor is a worthwhile tool to have on hand when you need it. But no, you do not need to.

1 Like

Oke and the last step was gnome-tweak-tool, i remember i used that tool in my first zorin installation and for some reason i removed it with a sudo command. The problem with that command, it deleted alot. My zorin installation was completely trash. Now i am not sure if it was duo that command or a failed nvidia installation back then....but pffff i don't want to touch that again haha

You only need gnome-tweaks for Gnome Desktop. If you are using Cinnamon, gnome-tweaks would not even launch on it, I think.
Removing gnome-tweaks should not damage the desktop in anyway though.
A failed Nvidia installation is the far more likely culprit.

1 Like

@Aravisian: Not this by the way ? ubuntu write this

Go back to using Nautilus instead of Nemo:

xdg-mime default nautilus.desktop inode/directory application/x-gnome-saved-search
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons true
sudo apt purge nemo nemo*
sudo apt autoremove

And remove the nemo-desktop command from your startup applications

What is the command to delete nemo-dekstop, they dont write that haha

1 Like

Yes, THAT.
Sorry.

1 Like

And remove the nemo-desktop command from your startup applications

how to do that ?

The easy was is to open your file manager, go to ~/.config (hit ctrl+h to reveal it if you do not see it) and then autostart folder and delete the entry.
In Cinnamon Desktop, you can open the App menu and go to Startup Applications and remove it from the list there.

1 Like

Thanks for your time and the walkthrough...keep learning everyday :slight_smile:

I think it's not installed haha

It's not installed in ~directory, then. In which case, please use the Startup Applications dialog.

1 Like

Found it! it's not listed

1 Like

Probably a category thing in the menu- but yes, typing the app name into the menu will pull it up.

1 Like

So i added the nemo-desktop command and now when i reboot i get the icons from Cinnamon in my Gnome desktop. The part ubuntu site was talking about haha

" Inside this program, click the slider to turn off "Desktop Icons", as shown below. This turns OFF the nautilus desktop icons so that we can just have the nemo desktop icons instead. If you don't do this, you'll get a weird desktop with unusable nautilus desktop icons covered up by usable nemo desktop icons, as shown a couple images down."

i will stay on the nautilus desktop for now with nemo filemanager.

@Aravisian, i need your help.
I managed to install lightdm, it came with a ubuntu screen as login
I installed your ightdm-gtk-greeter-settings

Now i can only login in zorin and not in my cinnamon, do i need to configure something ? can i roll back ???

michel@michel-predator-g9-793:~$ systemctl status display-manager
● lightdm.service - Light Display Manager
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service; indirect; vendor pres>
Active: active (running) since Sun 2021-09-19 23:09:51 CEST; 2min 23s ago
Docs: man:lightdm(1)
Process: 871 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c [ "$(basename $(cat /etc/X11/default-d>
Main PID: 876 (lightdm)
Tasks: 5 (limit: 38353)
Memory: 57.2M
CGroup: /system.slice/lightdm.service
├─876 /usr/sbin/lightdm
└─886 /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg -core :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/light>

sep 19 23:09:54 michel-predator-g9-793 lightdm[1168]: PAM adding faulty module:>
sep 19 23:09:54 michel-predator-g9-793 lightdm[1168]: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_>
sep 19 23:09:54 michel-predator-g9-793 lightdm[1168]: PAM adding faulty module:>
sep 19 23:09:54 michel-predator-g9-793 lightdm[1168]: pam_succeed_if(lightdm:au>
sep 19 23:09:54 michel-predator-g9-793 lightdm[1168]: pam_unix(lightdm:auth): C>
sep 19 23:10:05 michel-predator-g9-793 lightdm[1168]: pam_unix(lightdm:auth): C>
sep 19 23:10:05 michel-predator-g9-793 lightdm[1168]: gkr-pam: unable to locate>
sep 19 23:10:05 michel-predator-g9-793 lightdm[1168]: gkr-pam: stashed password>
sep 19 23:10:05 michel-predator-g9-793 lightdm[1168]: pam_unix(lightdm:session)>
sep 19 23:10:06 michel-predator-g9-793 lightdm[1168]: gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-da>
lines 1-22/22 (END)

Are you clicking the Desktop Chooser button on the Upper Right side of the toolbar?

I see a black screen with login

https://imgur.com/wsz4r5g.jpg

In your second image, you see that Top Bar?
There are icons on the far right. Depending on your Setup... the Far Leftmost icon on the right side should be the chooser for Which Desktop to log into. Click it, go down the drop down menu to the one you want, click it. Then log in as normal.

Oke, also why does lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings have a black background. Can a wallpaper or something be added ?

Also in lightdm i have to press numlock everytime when i need to login. I don't have that with GDM3

You can do pretty much whatever you want. :wink: The Lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings GUI app has a lot of options, but is really only the tip of the iceberg of what you can do.
Launch lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings

On the Appearance tab, select Image, then use the navigation next to it to navigate to the one you want to use. IF that does not work for some reason, move the image to /usr/pixmaps/ and then direct to it in lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings

If even that doesn't work... open dconf-editor and navigate to org/gnome/desktop/background to set the image (Due to installing lightdm on Gnome).

sudo apt update && sudo apt install numlockx

sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Add the following line: greeter-setup-script=/usr/bin/numlockx on
Hit ctrl+x to exit, then the y key to say yes to save, then the enter key to do it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.