Right Mouse Menu

This just started about 3-4 days ago .... when I click on the right mouse button to say save a photo or anything else nothing happens ..... no menu appears .... when I start up Zorin everything is OK but after a while the menu will not load ..... both my mouse (cordless) my right click on my touch pad or a cordless mouse I plugged in to try will not work .... restarting the OS clears the problem for a while but then it starts again .....

It is irritating as I have to hit CTL+ALT+DEL (which logs me out Zorin) to get out of that screen ..... the cordless mouse is the same model that I have been using ever since i have been using Zorin and up till now has been working fine ....

Um... which desktop, again?

ZOrin 16 Pro running Cinnamon .... I forgot to say I can click change users when I press CTRL+ALT+DEL and just sign back in and the menu comes back .... yesterday it did it about 4-5 times once one right after the other so the length of time varies ..... it happens randomly .... nothing in the Zorin search feature matches my problem ....

It sounds like the desktop is crashing (partially)
If it happens again, can you test with
alt+F2
Run the command
nemo-desktop to start the desktop or just
r to restart the desktop and see if that restores the right click menu. If it does,
can you try:

sudo apt install --reinstall nemo

Can I just try the command above and then try the other steps if it doesn't work ?????? .... might save some time .... :grinning: :roll_eyes:

I guess if you wanna... :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

:grinning: :grinning: ..... OK thanks I'll check back later as I'm involved with another project right now ..... but I'll try the reinstall of Nemo and if that didn't work the other steps you listed above .... thanks

1 Like

OK it did it again several times till I copied the ALT+F2 and typed in r in the box that popped up .... anyway that cleared and reset the right side menu but right after that it did t again .... so I'm gonna reinstall Nemo again and try it tomorrow .... kinda late tonight for further replies .... :zzz: :zzz:

mike@mike-ROG-Strix-G731GT-G731GT:~$ sudo apt install --reinstall nemo
[sudo] password for mike:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
simplescreenrecorder-lib xdg-desktop-portal-gtk
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 886 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/universe amd64 nemo amd64 4.4.2-2ubuntu2 [886 kB]
Fetched 886 kB in 3s (297 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 352577 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../nemo_4.4.2-2ubuntu2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking nemo (4.4.2-2ubuntu2) over (4.4.2-2ubuntu2) ...
Setting up nemo (4.4.2-2ubuntu2) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.64ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.36.0-1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.1-1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.24-1ubuntu3) ...
mike@mike-ROG-Strix-G731GT-G731GT:~$

OK guess it is time to get back to this post as the problem is occurring more and more .... EX. just spelled occurring wrong and the right mouse menu was blank again and it has happened 10-12 times in the past 3 hours ..... it occurs on my browser as well as on the net and using Cinnamon on Zorin ..... the work around works but it is getting to be a royal PITA especially when I am copying photos to store in Pictures Folder .....

Any more suggestions ??????????????

On a search, I only have found these, so far...

This user is on Unity Desktop, not Cinnamon, but very near to what I think you are describing:

1 Like

Thanks Aravisian I checked and made sure I was using Nemo for my files and I am ..... went into System Settings and check on mouse settings and other than single click all was normal ..... also I disabled Touch-pad just for kicks as one article said some thing about the two finger swipe but that was for another DE and I use Cinnamon but if it doesn't work I can always turn Touch-pad back on .....

OK so lets try that for a while and see what happens .... let you know ...... by the way I just thought the mouse doesn't act up when I'm gaming .... and even though when I right click in a game it doesn't show a menu (not supposed to) the button still functions and doesn't freeze the screen like it does when I try and correct a spelling error or copy and paste something ..... :thinking:

This is an issue I have never heard of before. A blank right click context menu...

Yup ..... leave it to me .... well I guess someone's gotta be first ..... :thinking: :rofl:

Just to let you know I was on a different board and the same thing happened .... tried to go from full screen to normal and the screen froze and no right context menu ..... nether my mouse nor Touch-pad will work (when the Touch-pad is enabled that is)

Would be nice to just use a back-up image of Zorin but I have not been able to do a back-up for fear of bringing my problems to the new installed image .... been close to a month and there have been lots of changes to my set up ..... mostly good ....

Time to switch to Gnome then :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

Perish the thought ...... :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.