Screen became white with pixels floating around after waking from sleep

Hi.
screenshot

I locked the pc and left to sleep. 2 hours later I suppose zorin suspended itself or went to sleep (idk the linux term) and after I woke up I turned on my pc to find it having that white background with bunch of random pixels floating around and having green rectangular pixels on bottom (which seems to be zorin taskbar)

When clicking randomly the pixels would move and then come back to original place, and after 10 seconds of random keys hitting i somehow got it to show the taskbar okay and desktop somewhat okay with windows being glitched with that white background and the cursor wasnt visible and i restarted the pc and then it all went away

I would like to find a cause of this and how to fix it if possible, it's not a problem in my monitor displaying the image and I don't know if its gpu driver or some other problem

Did you shutdown and reboot?

Please provide your system specs to help in resolving.

And if you can or did reboot, please try sudo apt update & sudo apt upgrade

1 Like

Sounds like GPU.

Seconded.

2 Likes

Please add your screenshot/s to your post using the "Upload" tool
(icon looks like a picture 7th from left in toolbar).
Some helpers are reluctant to click links to 3rd party image sites.

2 Likes

How much ram do you have, what is the graphics card you are using and what are your paging file settings?

1 Like

Did you shutdown and reboot?

• I only rebooted

Please provide your system specs to help in resolving.
asdsad
GPU: AMD RX 580
RAM: 16GB DDR3

And if you can or did reboot, please try sudo apt update & sudo apt upgrade

• Done

Sounds like GPU.

• If that's the case, I have no idea how or what to do anything about that on linux because while I'm okay with tech, I'm having much to learn

Please add your screenshot/s to your post using the "Upload" tool

what are your paging file settings?

• I didn't know how to check that but google told me to use swapon -s:
    swapon93

With this, you performed soft reboot.
Please do complete shutdown then restart (hard reboot).

1 Like

Did it now

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

sudo apt update && sudo apt -y upgrade

2 Likes

I did it, though for now that white background hasn't appeared again so I don't have anything much to add, but I am wondering what do those special open graphic drivers do? Weren't there graphics drivers already before? I'm not really sure how linux handles gpu drivers

Amd/ati has not the best linux support. Your card has drivers but for ubuntu 20.04 they where not supported. Someone made those drivers to work with 20.04 which zorin is based on.

If the issue is gone please hit solved button :sunglasses:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.