Screen Tearing in Zorin OS 15.3

Hi, I am a Linux newbie that just installed Zorin OS 15.3 and am having screen tearing issues.

• Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M 6144MB GDDR5
  • Driver: NVIDIA Server Driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-460-server (proprietary, tested)

Please advise. Thanks.

You can run in terminal

uname -a

and relay your kernel version here. I suspect it is 5.4.0-65 if you have accepted all your updates to this point.

If running the Nvidia 460 driver, you are likely to not see proper performance on the 5.4.0 kernel. This is a topic that has been coming up a bit more often lately...

One of your options is to use a different Nvidia Driver currently and see if that resolves screen tearing.

Hey I recently had this issue, if you logout and go to type your password in there is a cog, switch to Wayland option :slight_smile:

Be warned- in fairness, many apps do not work on Wayland for many users.

Re: Latest kernel. FYI, I for one was updated to 5.4.0-66 on 24/2/21.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. So it seems to be a well known issue? With that Kernel, which Nvidia driver should I use to get rid of the tearing? I appreciate your help.

Did anyone find any solution to this? I'm a new user to ZorinOS, currently on Zorin 16 beta, but I have tried the latest stable release and it seems to have the same tearing problem. My kernel version is 5.8.0-50-generic and I have a Nvidia GTX 1050 onboard if that helps.

You may want to try:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1881282#p1881282

There is a grub modification if you don't have nvidia-drm.conf