Screen Tearing with Zorin 16 Pro

I just installed Zorin OS 16 Pro, and chose the open source drivers. (I have Intel XE Integrated) I am now facing really bad screen tearing. I'm still kind of new to Linux in general, but I have used it off and on. I decided to make the leap last night. I'm not too sure what I need to do, because I can't find anything to do with VSync in the display options. Any Ideas?

Could you please provide the output of sudo lshw -c video ?

Output:

*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Intel Corporation
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
logical name: /dev/fb0
version: 01
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom fb
configuration: depth=32 driver=i915 latency=0 mode=2560x1600 visual=truecolor xres=2560 yres=1600
resources: iomemory:600-5ff iomemory:400-3ff irq:145 memory:601c000000-601cffffff memory:4000000000-400fffffff ioport:3000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff memory:4010000000-4016ffffff memory:4020000000-40ffffffff

Neofetch calls it "Intel Device 9a49"

Ubuntu 20.04 no driver loaded for Intel Iris Xe Graphics - Ask Ubuntu has a link to some intel packages you could try installing and see if that fixes it.

PS - I understand you have a driver loaded but check out the intel link provided in the answer on that post.

Maybe try this too

sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
Section "Module"
    Load "dri3"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
    Driver      "intel"
    Option      "DRI"   "3"
EndSection
1 Like

So is xorg.conf.d the the name of the file I'm creating, or is it something else?

The file you are creating, by default there is a file called xorg.conf if you use nvidia

Ah ok, I was researching online and saw something like that but they didn't exist in the X11 folder so I was confused.

Open up terminal and write sudo -H nautilus
Navigate to /etc/X11/
Create a new file and name it xorg.conf.d
Open xorg.conf.d
Add

Section "Module"
    Load "dri3"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
    Driver      "intel"
    Option      "DRI"   "3"
EndSection

Save and exit terminal and reboot and hope it is fixed

I tried both fixes and it seems worse somehow? It tears even when I switch tabs on Firefox. I've done everything shown to me so far. I'm tempted to just reinstall and see if that works? I haven't been running it for too long so its not going to be a big deal for me to reset zorin. Could it be an issue with secure boot or something?

1 Like

The only thing you can try is this

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Yeah, no dice. I may just reinstall it then. I'm thoroughly confused.

1 Like

Unless you are Dual Booting Windows, You Do Not Need Secure Boot.
Secure Boot is for Windows Only.

1 Like

Marked solution. 45

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.