Several errors after fresh install of Zorin OS 17 Core

Hi everybody,

Yesterday, in light of the absent upgrader, I decided to wipe my Zorin OS 16.3 partition and went for a fresh Zorin OS 17 Core installation.

Unfortunately, a few errors are present which did not appear on the same device with the previous version. For example, there seem to be problems with WWAN after waking from sleep. Before, it always worked reliably.

Looking at the protocol, I can see the following issues:

Mind you, I did not drill into the details in that picture for brevity reasons. Of course, I will gladly share more details when needed. There is just no reason to spam endless logs if nobody is able to help, anyway.

I would appreciate feedback in case somebody has faced the same errors or might be able to help me figure out what is causing those entries.

What I could fix myself so far is blacklist: Problem blacklisting hash (-13).

This seems to be an error related to a hardening of the Secure Boot signature handling and can only be fixed via a different kernel version. Until then, it can be ignored.

If it does bother you flashing by on every start, feel free to edit /etc/default/grub and change the line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" into

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet loglevel=3 splash"

to suppress the error.

Remember to run sudo update-grub after making the change.

1 Like

I marked this as a solution for now... But if you like, you can move the solution to a better fit should one be found later.

Unfortunately, it is only one out of eight that I managed to figure out, that is why I left it up for others to chime in as well and get some collaboration going.

Then again, there are not any responses anyway, so it probably is not relevant.

I understand. - solution unmarked...
Many errors can be ignored and different systems can accrue different amounts of logs.
I agree that solving them is better and not building up excess logs will assist in saving Root Space.

I have not yet read or looked over the errors listed as I am currently multi-tasking heavily and dealing with a variety of things.

2 Likes

Oh, yes, no worries—you have got enough on your hands with the new release in general.

After some research, it does seem most problems are more on the aesthetic side, without real impact on the system.

For some reason, I cannot find anything about the sequence number glitch, though, which occurs in the hundreds over a few hours.

Maybe that is something we can get a handle on when things die down a bit in the coming weeks.

I also am using the loglevel=3 parameter due to ACPI table warning reports and AE_not found

It's why I did not really prioritize it... But that does not mean that it is uncared about or waiting to be neglected.

1 Like

Can you please launch Software & Updates and in the "Download from" drop down menu, ensure you are set to Main Server.
Once this is done, close Software & Updates and let it refresh when it asks.
Launch terminal and run

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

Once you have done these, please check your Manufacturer page to see if your Make and Model has a BIOS Firmware Update available for that machine.

1 Like

Can I take this opportunity to ask all members to update their profile to show:

Make and Model of Desktop/Notebook/Motherboard - this helps with Diagnostic.

Also just to make a comment that Samsung does not appear to offer BIOS updates. There was a member from Brasil who had an issue recently and all that Samsung offer is a manual for the Notebook under support! I also had issues with Samsung notebooks when at work when the Intel meltdown issue occurred. Intel provided a tool to see if there was an issue but it was down to manufacturers to provide a BIOS update - Samsung never did.

2 Likes

First, I checked for a new BIOS version. Neither Lenovo Vantage nor the scan via the Service Bridge offered an update. Yet, there was indeed an update available, that I installed manually. Thus, my BIOS went from version 1.65 to 1.66.

Software & Updates was set to Custom Servers. This might be since I installed e.g. Teamviewer, which will add its repository to the list.

After switching to Main Server, this is what I get after running sudo apt update:

All packages are up to date.

After that, I received several dozen of the following (one as example):

W: Target Packages (restricted/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:5 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/archive_uri-http_archive_ubuntu_com_ubuntu_-jammy.list:4

Unfortunately, I cannot go back to my Custom Servers now, they are not listed any longer as an option. :slightly_frowning_face:

(To be precise: Before switching, I had the choice of Main Server, German Main Server and Custom Servers with the option set to the latter, now there is just Main Server in the dropdown menu.)

As for firmware updates, running sudo fwupdmgr get-updates after fwupdmgr refresh says that there are no updates available.

1 Like

The sources that are configured multiple times must have only one configuration. What this means is that there are duplicates in the sources. What you'll need to do (Sorry for the tedious activity here,) is elevate to Root privileges

sudo -i

Launch file manager:

nautilus

From "other locations" > "computer" > navigate to /etc/apt/sources.list and right click sources.list and open with text editor.
In the text editor preferences, select to show Line Numbers.
Using your terminal output as a guide, go through and remove each duplicate line or "comment out" those lines by placing a hashtag # in front of each duplicate.
I admit, I always remove them on my machine. I have never had an issue that required saving them.

Don't worry, there is not a problem there. You have specified a server and can use either your regional or the Main server. You did not lose access to any servers.
The application could use better wording on its part.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, Aravisian. I am a little bit more comfortable with Nano, but in the end, I commented out

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy main restricted

and

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy multiverse

in my /etc/apt/sources.list, which were for some baffling reason the only ones that had duplicates in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/archive_uri-http_archive_ubuntu_com_ubuntu_-jammy.list.

After running sudo apt update again, I was offered libdw1 libelf1 memtest86+ and ran the upgrade, but I guess that has nothing to do with my problems.

I also chose a close server in my country in the settings. It shows its name now instead of Custom Server, but I guess it's basically back to what it was before. Whew. I wish I had made a backup of my /etc/apt/ folder before.

Unfortunately, the error messages in the syslog remain.

On a side note, I do have two entries for memtest86+ in my Grub menu now after updating memtest86+, the latter being new:

Memory test (memtest86+x64.efi)
Memory test (memtest86+x64.efi, serial console)

Is it useful to have both, or can I just hide / delete one of those entries?

1 Like

Both are useful in case you need to run from the tty or Console.

I am the same and I have had to actively train myself to type out GUI instructions since many people prefer it. It has been suggested that I am trying to "force the terminal" on users by posting directions for using Nano instead of a GUI text editor...

Well, you have

• performed a full upgrade
  • updated BIOS firmware
  • set loglevel to only report critical errors

Getting errors in system logs are quite normal as long as it is not inundated with them. many of these reports are issues like "process not found so falling back to underlying process" and so on and mean that the system is properly handling things.

I would say let's monitor it for a while and see if your Root drive space loses space due to accumulating logs. If it does, you can set a vacuum period to clean up old logs periodically.

1 Like

Thank you, I will keep both around then. :blush:

Yes, because it is so much easier to open several different windows with some requiring sudo from the CLI anyway and drag stuff all over the place instead of simply typing (or even pasting) one command. Not. :yum:

Mind you, I firmly believe in going the easiest route—which may be GUI or CLI, depending on the task at hand—but I entirely understand your conundrum. Windows really has ruined it to a point where users would not know what is best for them if you slapped them silly. :wink:

Indeed, I think the only things that are bugging me at this point are the constant occurrences of these two:

systemd: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
A start job for unit UNIT has finished with a failure.
The job identifier is 418 and the job result is failed.

That is really great because 'unit UNIT' could be anything. Might as well report nothing at all. And it does not seem to fall back on anything as a workaround.

GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed

This one sounds a bit scary, but it does not tell me anything, either.

But I can monitor it for now, you certainly have your hands full at the moment. I am genuinely grateful for your assistance nonetheless.

1 Like

This is actually a very common message... It is almost always something you can ignore. Seeing it say "Critical" gets your blood pressure up. Critical for the Gnome Theme, maybe...

This is more serious and it would be helpful to know more. It is often resolved by a sudo apt upgrade command.
What this means for you is that it may soon appear to resolve itself when system upgrades come down the pipe.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1973058
But it is not a new bug and looks to be a case of certain applications linking to other processes not present on the system. It could be resolved if we knew which application was making the call and what it was calling.

1 Like

That is comforting, thank you.

Yes, calling that unit UNIT is a tad bit irritating and not entirely helpful.

I will mark your post as a solution and keep tabs on the coming upgrades.
If I encounter a fix, I will simply add it to this thread. :blush:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.