Slow computer with only Zorin OS Pro 16.3 OS

I love Zorin OS Pro 16.3, or put in another way, I love the options a Linux system gives me. I no longer feel like a windows/google/bing/youtube prisoner. I have options like a free U.S. citizen!
I installed Pro on both my computers, an older one and a newer one. I use the newer one mostly but I want to get info on fixing the slow, older computer.
The older computer is an HP Pavilion 17-f230nr. The only OS on it is Zorin OS Pro 16.3. I uninstalled windows first.
I'm not sure what would cause this. The only info I have is the following that I get upon starting the computer and it flashes quickly in the upper left corner of the screen before going into Zorin OS. I tried to decipher what the picture said as well as I could by taking a picture while it happened. This is the best I could decipher from the picture:

[ 0.166385] x86/cpu: VMX (outside TXT)
[ 0.222681] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol (\ _SB,
AE_NOT_FOUND (20210730/psargs-330)
[ 0.222797] ACPI Error: Aborting Method (_SB._OSC due to previous error
NOT_FOUND} (20210730/pspavse-529)

in a moment these lines were then added to the previous lines:

[ 0.429075] hub 1=1:1.0: Using single TT (err-22)

I didn't do any partitioning when I installed Zorin on this computer.

These can be ignored. The VMX error is Virtualization option and you can remove that warning by enabling virtualization in your BIOS settings if you want to.
The ACPI warnings relate to the manufacturer not including all the necessary values in the ACPI tables. This is not unusual and you cannot fix this yourself. The Zorin OS system will simply fall back to known values, so the warning informs, but is not harmful.
You can remove the warning using the grub parameter loglevel=3 which instructs the verbose output be confined only to level 3 or higher warnings.

What specs are the machine? CPU clocking speed and RAM...
You may be better served with Zorin OS Lite on that machine. Gnome is a heavy desktop environment. Though the Zorin Desktop is fine-tuned to be light on its feet, the Zorin OS Lite desktop is very light, only running necessary resources and does not have a constantly running Shell.

1 Like

I got the inside scoop on the computer from a link you gave me. Here they are:

HP Pavilion 17-f230nr Notebook PC Product Specifications

Hardware

Software

Hardware

Product Name 17-f230nr
Product Number J9N60UA
Microprocessor 2.16GHz Intel Pentium N3540 Processor with Turbo Boost up to 2.66GHz
Memory 4GB DDR3L SDRAM (1 DIMM)
Max Memory Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM
Video Graphics Intel HD graphics
Display 17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView WLED-backlit display (1600 x 900)
Hard Drive 750GB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
Multimedia Drive SuperMulti DVD burner
Network Card 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Connectivity 1x1 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth
Sound BeatsAudio dual speakers
Keyboard Full-size island-style keyboard with numeric keypad
Pointing Device HP Imagepad supporting multi-touch gestures without on/off button.
External Ports Multi-format digital media card reader for Secure Digital cards

2 SuperSpeed USB 3.0

1 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0

1 HDMI

1 RJ-45

1 headphone/microphone combo|
|Dimensions|1.092 in (H) x 16.51 in (W) x 10.98 in (D)|
|Weight|6.23 lb|
|Power|45W AC adapter

4-cell 41WHr 2.8Ah lithium-ion battery|
|Camera|Front facing HP TrueVision HD Webcam with integrated dual array digital microphone.|

Software

Operating System:
Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Does this suffice or is there more I should look for?

This can comfortably run Zorin OS Core or Lite, but Core would be perceptibly slower.

If you are experience more serious slowness or drag than that; Then you may need to check RAM and HHD/SSD health or for memory leaks.

So this computer is probably slow because of the heavier version of Pro 16.3? Am I getting that right?

How does one check RAM and HHD/SSD health or for memory leaks?

I would like to check the health to make sure it's alright going forward no matter what.

But how do I change over to Lite? Is that an uninstall of the Pro and install of the Lite?

I'll fire up the old computer tomorrow see what the results are.
And, I'll go ahead and put Lite on it. I don't need all of the other stuff.
Thanks!

I don't need the added features of Zorin OS Pro 16.3. That's the OTHER STUFF I referred to.

I ran GSmartContol by following your instructions. It came out as PASSED without any errors listed.
I then ran the memtester twice and got all ok's on both runs.
The amount of Ram said:
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 3.7Gi 1.26i 422Mi 157Mi 2.1Gi 2.1Gi
Swap: 2.0Gi 186Mi 1.86i

About my computer's slowness, when I put my password in and hit authenticate it takes at least 12 seconds before the screen changes.

After seeing the results of these tests, does it show you why this is slow?

I will follow your lead and check out Stacer next.
This computer was empty of windows and I would assume a blank slate when I installed Pro 16.3. I haven't done any computing on it at all since the installation.
I didn't do any partitioning when I installed Pro. If that should be looked into or done answer and I'll check back to see if you replied. Otherwise, I will assume it's not to be considered an issue.

I am using the Lite version now on this older computer. I tried removing the warning at startup by running: loglevel=3 and it did nothing, just returned back to the same prompt.
Also, I did all of the suggestions that 337harvey gave me and everything checked out fine; memtester and running GSmartControl.
Do you have any ideas about why it still runs slow? I asked about partitioning, if that was important. It only has Zorin on it so I was wondering.

Zorin OS Lite uses XFCE and does not require Tweaks.
Instead, launch settings > Appearance > Fonts tab and select Enable anti-aliasing to enable or disable it.

1 Like

Well that didn't work. I tried enabling and disabling and there wasn't any difference either way.
I thought maybe I need more ram but articles say that's not really the fix you might need.
Then I see articles about SSD. Do you think I should add SSD?

It is possible that the connection to the drive needs to be cleaned and re-seated. I would try that before buying new hardware.

That definitely sounds like it's easier said than done. I did replace the keyboard on this computer with success. But I do love challenges!

1 Like