"Software update failed" after every restart

Thank you for giving me more additional information. I will make a note on that I might have to do firmware updates manually (another thing I will need to learn about). After reading your reply, I wanted to test if "Software" in Zorin still works, and I installed FileZilla. It installed with no problems! However, I am still hoping that I don't need to disable fwupd after I reinstall Zorin - but my gut feeling is that the problem will return. But, I have a fix now, so thats ok.

I have now reinstalled Zorin 17 (without clicking "Try"), and there is no error messages about "update failed". I have restarted several times, and I have also installed and customized the same things as the last time, and still the error has not returned. So it seems it only happens to users that clicked "Try" before they installed.

Edit: Maybe when using "Try" an older version of fwupd is installed, and as posted previous, the older version has a bug so it can't be upgraded. But maybe when not using "Try", a newer version of fwupd is installed. To me it seems this could be the explanation.

Edit 2: Nevermind about my first edit above. I just did "sudo systemctl status fwupd" and it still says "failed to get releases for UEFI dbx: No releases found: Not compatible with org.freedesktop.fwupd version 1.7.9, requires >= 1.9.1" when starting the firmware update daemon:

jan. 14 16:10:32 emit systemd[1]: Starting Firmware update daemon...
jan. 14 16:10:33 emit fwupd[1848]: 15:10:33:0057 FuEngine             failed to get releases for UEFI dbx: No releases found: Not compatible with org.freedesktop.fwupd version 1.7.9, requires >= 1.9.1
jan. 14 16:10:33 emit fwupd[1848]: 15:10:33:0062 FuEngine             failed to get releases for UEFI dbx: No releases found: Not compatible with org.freedesktop.fwupd version 1.7.9, requires >= 1.9.1
jan. 14 16:10:33 emit systemd[1]: Started Firmware update daemon.

So I will now have to consider if I should disable fwupd or not. I am afraid it could be a security risk to not disable it. Anyway. The thread problem is solved by disable it, so I will not continue posting more about it, unless others want to share opinions of whats best to do (disable or not). I still have not any error message about updates, it is only visible in terminal.

1 Like

I guess from your Edit2, the problem is now considered not "Solved".
I suggest you untick the "Solved" flag at your post #20, otherwise you may be turning away help from forum members thinking you have solved it.

Thank you. Ok. I have now untick the "Solved" flag. However the problem with a visual error message about updates after each restart is solved by doing a direct install or disable fwupd, but it seems the underlying problem is not solved by a direct install, it is just not visible outside of terminal. However the problem is solved both visual and in terminal by disabling fwupd, but wheter this is a good enough way to solve it or not, I am sure could be debated.

There is a suggested cause and addressed fix here:

1 Like

Thank you. I have carefully read the thread you linked to. I am however not going to try any solutions posted there, simply because I am not able to understand what I am doing. If someone tries any solutions, I hope they will share it here. Currently I have decided to disable fwupd, and the plan is to enable it every few months or so, to see if there is any fix applied, if not just disable it again.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.