Sound popping on playback

Hello-

I'm getting a popping sound from my analog speakers on playback from Rhythmbox. This is on a desktop pc usng tje Builtin Audio Analog Stereo port- line out. I've read the tutorial, installed the Pulse Audio Volume control panel, and addressed the power_save and poser_save_controller issues described in the Ubuntu forums. Still getting the occasional pop, and have noticed that when I do, the Port dropdown on the Pulse audio Output Devices tab very briefly switched from showing "Line Out" to "Headphones (unplugged). I also see that the HDMI/DisplayPort 3 (pluggedin) area briefly goes up from silence to some input.

Any idea what's going on?

Audio:     Device-1: Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP106 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Device-3: Sunplus Innovation type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.13.0-41-generic 

Hi, Looks like you have multiple devices trying to access the sound server - which sound device do you need? Once you know the answer to that, you can 'blacklist' the devices you don't want to access audio:

Thanks for the guidance. I ran the command,

and got this returned:

/proc/asound/modules                                                  
 0 snd_hda_intel
 1 snd_hda_intel
 2 snd_usb_audio

This seems to correspond to the inxi -A commands return of:

Audio:     Device-1: Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP106 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Device-3: Sunplus Innovation type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.13.0-41-generic

I think my system has the onboard Intel audio, an Nvidia card, and a USB webcam.

Since they share the same device name, how would I blacklist the Nvidia card, since I don't need to use it?

As far as the rest of the article, I've installed the Zorin OS16 Pro system, with whatever display manager and audio components it came with. I'm not sure what is refered to by the reference to install only the basic system, or if the Soundblaster Audigy RX card is what I have. It seems a bit out of context, and I don't think I'd want to mess with my display manager if at all possible to avoid.

I wrote the article as I had an Audigy RX which has been problematical for Linux users. The same guide can be applied to any soundcard in use. You don't need to blacklist the webcam, just the nvidia, which I guess is using HDMI for sound. Just follow the guide and you won't go wrong. If you prefer to view the original article, click on the link that I added at the bottom of the tutorial, acknowledging the source.

Thanks for the further response. I'm doing a lengthy cloud upload which will take another couple days to finish, so, since I need to do a reboot to get the blacklist completed, I'll report back once I've been able to do all that. I did notice that in the pulse audio volume control, there was an option on the configuration tab to disable audio components. I did disable the Nvidia card there, but it doesn't seem to stick. I see that the even with no audio source playing, the built in analog stereo section of the output devices tab's port dropdown flickers between line out and headphones.

Hi- Looks (or should I say sounds) like the blacklisting worked! The Nvidia GP106 device still shows in my Pulse Audio Control panel, but the network wide card is gone. And so is the shifting between line out and headphones. Thanks for your help. I've marked an earlier entry to this thread as solution.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.