Specifying software installation location

BUMP:
I have a new Zorin Pro OS installed on a small drive (250gb) and have a secondary drive of 2Tb where I want all my programs and data installed -- how can I guide the "Software" program (and other relevant installers) to at least give me the option of installing to the second - larger - drive.

When it comes to Software, they do not take up a lot of space. Setting up Software to install program data to a secondary drive would be a bit counter-productive. Instead of making calls to the native drive, it must bridge to a different one.
This can get very complicated, very quickly. Especially if you use Steam with Proton, WINE, POL, etc.

Greater complexity in rigging can lead to greater points of failure.

It can be done. But isn't recommended.

The larger drive is best served as a Storage Unit; where you can put Game files, Movies, Images and anything else that is bulky and can be called, but is not reliant on ROOT system files to run like programs and software are.

You also can set your /home directory on your secondary drive, where you can store your personal data, configuration, WINE and Steam files, etc., thereby having that bulk stored on the larger drive. I think this may suit your needs far better than configuring Program Files to install elsewhere than ROOT.

2 Likes

Thanks yes that solution (/home on the second drive) sounds like it can work. Is it as simple as moving /home to that drive?

It is not, sadly.
I believe @swarfendor437 's Unofficial Manual for Zorin OS may be handy for referencing how.

@337harvey is knowledgeable about this, as well.

Or I can help - but I cannot at this moment because I need to slip into a deep coma.

1 Like

I'm happy to read the manual, I'm currently dealing with some other issues as well so will come to this topic soooon :slight_smile: . Thank you for the manual reference.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.