SSD/HDD lifepan, RAM and horses 🐴

Thanks for the clarification.

Now, one thing I had learned back when I was still on Windows, is that if your running on an SSD drive, you don't want to put your computer into hibernate/suspend, as it does some evil juju to the SSD drive, and makes tons of unnecessary writes, which can destroy the drive very fast.

In the last decade, I saw 2 SSDs went to the cyber heaven while 3 HDDs went to the same place :coffin:

It is difficult to compare since I have over 30 SSDs/HDDs floating around and doing a kind of wear levelling.

I am not @Kedric :wink: and I am not dare to claim any statistics, but my gut feeling is that a durability of SSD is comparable to that of HDD.

2 Likes

I totally agree!

Trouble is, SSD prices have been going up in price lately. Cause at the end of the day, SSD's are just a bunch of memory, with some D-RAM cash thrown in with a controller onboard. Well, memory has gone up, so has SSD's.

Of course, you can buy cheaper SSD's if you buy from no name brands like Vectotech for example, but I only bought that brand for portable external SSD. For a permanent use internal SSD, I go with Samsung drives for reliability.

1 Like

Agreed. It did not used to be this way, but these days, a Quality SSD is comparable in lifetime to HDD.
HDD has moving parts which are a big part of its failure rate. And SSD's are faster.
SSD wins the race over-all, even if they did have a shorter lifespan... But improvements in the technology have led to SSD's living nearly as long as HDD's.

2 Likes

I don't think SSDs are just a bunch of memory with D RAM cache, the main components of an SSD are the controller and the NAND Flash. D RAM cache is just a map, so your SSD can find specific information faster.

Yep, and those improvements are really in the filing system, the way the SSD drive stores the information for read and writes.

SLC MLC TLC QLC, so you see, its a lot of C's, but in the end, it refers to years of improvements, which allow the drives to raze their durability factor.

But when doing very large file transfers at once, all SSD's fell flat on their face for the longest time. It wasn't until the invention of putting D-RAM cash onto the SSD's, that really sped them up over long term file transfers.

Linus Tech Tips spoke about this in one of his video's. I truly find SSD drives fascinating, as well as all the improvements that were made, to make them more durable, and faster!

EDIT: Kedric, incase you didn't know, some SSD drive don't come with NAND flash, those are mainly in the cheaper drives. If you want to make sure you have an SSD with NAND flash, you got to buy Samsung.

1 Like

Dude NAND flash is on all type of SSDs, if not I'm being lied to my whole life! To my knowledge, is just the type of NAND technology.

Since Linus produces oodles of videos every month, cause he's like the biggest tech channel on youtube, there is no way for me to find the video. But he did a video on some cheapo SSD drive that didn't contain it.

What he demonstrated by doing a file transfer to it, a very large file transfer mind you, it was going super fast, until it filled up its cash, then suddenly became slower then a mechanical drive.

He was demonstrating why its so important to have that extra layer of NAND flash onboard. Anyways, it just illustrated to me what I already knew, and that is, if I want a reliable quality and fast drive, I got to stick with Samsung and eat the cost.

But for portable temporary use SSD drives for external USB use, I didn't mind buying a cheaper no-name brand of drive. It has served me well for installing OS's, but I would never rely on it for permenant use.

But Samsung memory and SSD's are about the only thing I fan over when it comes to that brand. I don't buy their TV's, or their phones, or their tablets, none of that, I could care less about their overpriced stuff in that area. Memory and SSD's, thats all I care about from Samsung lol.

1 Like

That isn't an SSD already, it's a bloody scam.

LMAO, thats pretty much what Linus said in his video. And you know what? I agreed with him, so you know what else that means? I agree with you too. lol

1 Like

I said it as a joke, but I guess it kinda makes sense :rofl:

The age gap may be relevant here. SSD's were around long before NAND flash.
Older SSD's or even Cheap SSD's used D-RAM cache which needed to be continuously supplied power to retain data. The development of NAND flash allows a powered off SSD to retain data.
In some cases, D-RAM cache is workable since in a server it would not be pulled out unless being replaced for example.
As NAND became the standard (and less expensive), most SSD's available are using it; Pretty much all Home PC's using SSD must have NAND due to moving the computer, power outages or whatever else - that the buyer doesn't want data loss simply from losing all power to the drive.
So, by Kedrics time, from his perspective, all SSD's he could be familiar with have NAND.

1 Like

@Aravisian WHAT ISN'T DRAM LIKE HELLA EXPENSIVE!! How did people afford to buy them? You need to supply continuos power, at this point I would rather just RAM as my storage.

In the old days, a new computer could cost more than a new car. :stuck_out_tongue:

But for a business running servers, those are coverable costs.

3 Likes

And now we can buy 10 high end home PCs for the same price of average car.

...Or the price of one iPhone. :smiley:

EDIT: We are way off topic... Where is the O.P.?

3 Likes

I don't even think OP opened Zorin Forums

1 Like

Wasn't me!
(for a change)

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: @StarTreker @FrenchPress @Aravisian @Kedric.

I hate the fact I remember those days of bygone years.

1 Like

I friend of mine served in the U.S. Army. We exchange a lot of information on old cars, tooling and history. He was in the U.S. Army Cavalry... When they had horses.