SSD/HDD lifepan, RAM and horses 🐴

Horses. True meaning of, "the calvary is on the way. Too bad they were abolished in 1942.

Some countries still use horses since vehicles can't reach certain terrains.

Well maintained horses are pretty. I used to see them when living in NYC. NYPD still have them in Manhattan. Walking or driving behind them wasn't fun though. :joy:

1 Like

Yeah....But....Lets be real here guys, there's a reason why horses are no longer used.

First of all, cars replaced the need to have horses. You talk about hard to reach places, thats what an ATV is for, they get you to place cars cannot. Plus we have dirt bikes, which need even less of a footprint for travel!

Also, what lovers of horses never like to talk about or admit, is the upkeep cost of horses. First of all, the initial cost of buying horses is going to cost a ton. Then added to that, is the costs to feed horses, thats going to cost a lot too.

You know what costs even more though? Vet bills, grooming care bills, hoof care bills. See, a lot of people watch the show My Little Pony, they grow up on this thing of, oh I wish I had a pony or a horse. And then they get one, and soon later, they are being sold off to somebody else.

Yeah cause, horses are a lot more responsibility then you thought they were! Real world don't operate like the show MLP. Real life, real responsibility, real costs, real choices. Reality, what a concept.

Food for thought........

Yup. Working as a banker NYC in the past, I had clients spending hundreds of thousands to millions, every week investing and selling horse. Many of them also have their own stables. I hear stories and have seen their collections on invitation. I know the expenses of horse ownership, maintenance, and responsibilities.

Mechanized vehicles are great in modern times. However, when there's no fuel or components, they're useless. ATV are useful in certain terrains in the USA, as it's mostly flat and the Rockies and Adirondacks are the only major mountain ranges. However, it's not as popular outside the USA. I've lived in multiple continents and have traveled a bit and noticed this.

Dirt bikes are quite popular in rural USA, as I've seen plenty of them in action on my road trips in the past. I've seen limited use in some countries beyond the USA, but, they're also not as popular as compared to within the USA.

One advantage of horses is that they're much more flexible in traveling through areas where quiet is needed, such as on patrols and for reconnaissance. Comparatively, ATVs and dirt bikes are still quite noisy. Aside from that, certain mountainous terrains are beyond the abilities of internal combustion engines and require horses, camels, donkeys to travel. Examples are the Himalayas, Northern Afghanistan, and Darfu region in Sudan.

But, animals as the primary mode of transportation have truly declined to being rare occurrences in the last 50 years. Many countries banned new internal combustion engines vehicles beyond around 2040. It's possible purely electric vehicles with high torque will further reduce the role of transport animals. But, for societies unable to afford modern machinery, breeding animals might continue to be more practicable.

There are societies like the Amish in the USA, certain tribes in the Amazon rainforest, and certain Pacific Islanders, who still prefer to live as they did before the Industrial Revolution. It's also possible to eat the transport animals when needed too. Can't eat a car. :joy:

You make some good points. The globe is vast, with many territories, and many different biomes. Our globe is so vast, that you could visit one side of the world, and it can be completely different, on the other side of the world.

This is why they filmed in locations like Vaz Gaz Rocks in TOS Star Trek, remember the lizard beast, I think he was called the Gorn. It was a cheap way to convey that they were on a different planet, when in actuality, they were still on Earth, just a place that most have not seen in their lives lol.

But now days with the internet, people can see a lot of neat places on our planet, all of that at your fingertips, no real need to travel! And during a pandemic, why the heck would you want to travel?

Yeah, I know, some people choose to take risks and travel during a pandemic anyways. But I am not one of those people, I am smart, I stay home, and I stay safe.

Yup. The Gorn were one of the original lizard people Kirk fought off hand-to-hand a few times. LOL.

I still can't believe time passed by so quickly. Shatner's 90 years old this year.

If you have the means to travel and see the world, it's a great thing. You get to immerse yourself into different cultures and societies first-hand. Best, if you can stay for a lenghty time to fully fully learn. Don't stay in the ex-pat bubbles, like how many ex-pats here in Asia do.

They stay in their comfort zone and never branch out to fully understand the local culture, preferring to remain in a preconcieved colored-lens lifestyle. For some, they don't feel the need to do so, because they'll leave in a year or so. But, there are others who will.

Very often, what one experiences and sees in person is truly different from what the corporate mainstream media of a different society promotes.

But, I wouldn't travel these days. The 2-4 weeks quarantines are a hassle, the virus and its exponential variants, and the costs aren't worth it. I'll wait a bit even when everything's back to normally, hopefully by 2023. Which, I think is still quite hard for it to happen.

3 Likes

Just wanted to clarify, the LIKE you got, was for this part.

And yeah, I'd love to visit Japan one day, but with how things are in our world now, not gonna happen. Maybe someday who knows. Its kind of a dream of mine. I tell myself if I still like Japan as much as I do from afar, I'll apply citizenship and live rest of my life there. But again, just a dream, like many things.

I also have a dream my financial debt would instantly disappear, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. lol

Let's wish we'll all win the next mega lottery, one-by-one in different drawings. LOL.

1 Like

Hmm.
Something tells me we should split this thread - now OP is nowhere to be found.

But I cannot think of any appropriate title for it and which postings should be moved to the new thread. I am open to any suggestion.

The OP posted once, never posted again, can't blame us. Some folks just give up and leave. Sad, cause I really like it when our family expands. :blush:

2 Likes

OK, I selected @Aravisian's answer as a solution to the original thread and moved us all to this new thread. :star2:
If you have a better idea about the thread title please let me know. :horse:

1 Like

Hey look, its the famous Mr. Ed. Lets ask him what his thoughts are on current RAM prices.

:horse: Their too expensive, its a sign of run away economics due to the tech shortage. Wilber wants to build me a computer so I can zoom chat with gorgious lass named Molly, but alass, Wilber couldn't even find a video card, all the miners had them. :horse:

2 Likes

I made a post about this in the thread on my MSI computer, but not everybody has access to Lounge. This is the hard drive discussion thread, so I shall dispatch this picture with great dispatch! :grin:

binary-comment
So what do you think? Delicious aint it? :yum:

No, its not a candy bar, its an NVME drive from Western Digital
binary-comment

You know what this means don't you? I am now ready for Zorin OS 16 LITE. :grin:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.